How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, September 25, 2009

I am a re-cyclist...

yesterday I cycled and today I cycle again.

It is strange because just when I was about to post something on re-cycling, I got a call from Mylene who asked for my email address because she wants to send something for me to post. I met them once, at a guess, 2 years ago, at the monthly Little Penang Street Market and I gave them a sticker with my name and phone number.

The couple are into showing people how to achieve almost zero garbage by separating their daily rubbish. I particularly like their advice on how to use 10 pots to make compost from our organic waste from fruits and vegetables. For those who are keen, please visit their website.

Their message to me:

Hi KS

Nice to get in touch with you once again. We read your blog almost every night and we find it quite fun and informative.

We are still doing what we have been doing over the last 13 years .... recycling household waste and sharing this simple, practical and doable method of keeping valuable resources from the landfill.

You can visit our website for more info on recycling. www.greencrusaders.com

Looking foward to meeting up with you at the Little Penang Street Maret soon and a chit- chat over a cup of coffee.

Warm Regards Don & Mylene.

What I was about to post:

One day, a student said she wanted to throw away a piece of paper which she had done her homework on. Her classmate said she wanted it. Thinking that she wanted it because of what was written on the paper, her mother walked about half a kilometre to where her car was parked to get it. It was then the classmate said, 'my grandmother collects old papers to sell'. The student's mother was upset because she said she would rather give her 10 sen than walked such a long way for that paper meant for re-cycling!

The other day, my wife instructed me to take away all the old newspapers in the PJ house for our cleaner in BG! Stacked up, I think it was almost three feet high. But for all that it was worth, it seemed silly because the weight would increase fuel consumption, especially long distance of at least 200km and I ended up having to send it to her house and even had to take the whole lot down again! Again, I would rather give her the few ringgit instead. But what boss said, I had to listen because she is always right.

The thing about re-cycling is that it will make the place look untidy because of having to store it first until collection. So if one prefers tidiness, re-cycling is not an option unless it is straight to the bins meant for it.

We are far behind in this aspect, unlike some European countries where they have separate containers for glass, plastic and paper. What I like best is that you can actually throw in broken bottles. I always have this problem in Malaysia whenever I have broken pieces of glass as I worry over the fact that someone might get cut, if not the rubbish collector, then probably scavengers at the landfill.
Link

No comments: