How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, September 03, 2009

The day when events did not happen as planned...

Well, it started yesterday, when a simple oil change led to a minor accident on my way back. A furniture shop lorry was parked on the left side. I turned into this narrow road following another of the shop's bigger lorry. In my hurry to pass, I tried to squeeze through between the two lorries. As I was passing, I realized the bigger lorry seem to be preparing to reverse and I stepped on the accelerator to prevent being knocked by it, and it was that split second that I overlooked my left side until I heard a cracking sound and it turned out to be my car's left wing mirror came off! It was all my fault for being silly to take a chance that I did not bother to argue.

Today, the wing mirror ordered arrived from KL and I took it to the workshop. The panel-beater said he was busy and would prefer me to come back tomorrow. When pressed, he reluctantly agreed that I can come at 4pm. I gave the item to the spray-painter to spray metallic silver on to the black colour to match the car colour. At about 2pm, my wife suggested that we should go to the apartment to arrange for their worker to replace the locks. I knew I had to attend a meeting at 8.30pm in Ipoh and thought we have sufficient time to go to Damai Laut and back.

A young Malay guy came as instructed by the manager. Seeing him with a tool bag, we presumed he knew what he was doing. There was a lot of banging, and it was only later that I sensed something wrong with the excessive hammering and the work not done by 5pm, after 2 hours! I had to call the workshop to inform them that I could not make it today.

We were told the lock did not work and my wife noticed part of the catch was broken, half suspecting that he broke it or we were given a broken one by the shop assistant. My wife confirmed that there would be someone to do it before she went to Sitiawan to buy another one. This time round, it was the same excessive hammering without getting the job done!

My wife decided to have a look. Believe me, she is really a hands-on person and could tell that the chap did not know what he was doing. I did ask him earlier but because he did not respond, I thought he preferred to get on with his work and not to be disturbed. As it turned out, my wife managed to get the lock in place and after making sure it works, just asked him to put on the two screws! We tried our best to put on a straight face so as not to injure his pride and believe me, we did not laugh about it, just feel sorry that he was given the responsibility without actually knowing enough. We even ensure he make it in time for breaking fast at 7.30pm. We had yet to take our dinner, so I had to call my friend to inform him that I could not make it for the meeting. We actually arrived home at 10pm!
Link

No comments: