How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Peace of mind to me...

is when there is no pressure from anyone, to do an assignment or carry out a simple errand. If there was no urgency and even if the task was not completed, there is not going to be any penalty for late payment, for instance, and a required warning preceding that as well, would be ideal.

I prefer walking to town to do some errands because I do not have to look for a parking space and worry over whether I have put in enough money for the time I need. Sometimes, an unexpected delay and while queueing for my turn, I worry over the ticket which might be issued by the local authority.

It would be nice not to have any membership of clubs, or ownership of condominum, which require monthly subscriptions or service charges, or big capacity car which require hefty road tax.

This morning, being a Sunday, I did not expect traffic jam in Ipoh at all. I set off at 9.30am for a meeting in Kg Simee, but was caught in a massive jam just after the flyover at Jalan Lahat in front of ACS. I thought there was an alternative route but got back to the flyover again. Initially, I thought it was an early Deepavali jam at the Little India, but turned out to be re-surfacing of the road perpendicular to Jalan Lahat.

At an age when I should be taking things easy, the new requirements set out at the meeting more or less helped to make up my mind that it is not for me. I have enough of rules before and more rules to follow would really make me unhappy.

With blogging, there is the inherent need to self-censor and think ahead so that it would not affect someone who might read it sometime in the future. My preference for freedom of expression (even within certain limits set by myself) might embarrass certain parties, which was why I try my best not to associate my blog with any political party or even causes which I wish to support. It is a case of I am comfortable with them, but are they comfortable with my expressed support?
Link

No comments: