How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, October 05, 2009

I find our road signs leave much to be desired...

Either I am stupid or those who decide on the details of road signs are terrible at their work. After my recent 3 attempts to find Marriott Putrajay, now I had difficulty despite having a location map at hand, finding a PJS 6 road! Is there a conspiracy between road sign planners and GPS system suppliers?

We were invited to ADUN Seri Setia, YB Nik Nazmi's open house at Jalan PJS 6/3B. I mentioned about difficulty in locating unfamiliar addresses and he provided suitable location map in his website or Facebook. I actually printed a copy and wrote out the roads to look out for. From PJ Section 14, instead of taking Kelang Lama route, we took the Lebuhraya Damansara-Puchong route. But the first sign which indicates any PJS road shows PJS7, so we continued until we saw PJS 9 and 11 on the road signs, but where is PJS 6? We continued and had to go through the toll before we realized we overshot because it would lead to several expressways. We made a big U-turn to go through the toll again just to get back to where we were at the 'Penang bridge lookalike' junction earlier. I had to take a dubious U-turn there (or travel another few km before we could start again at that point) and turned in at one of the PJS 7 roads. The question I wish to point out to those responsible for road signs, why is there no reference to PJS 6, for instance, when for those coming from Federal Highway and joining LDP, the right road to take is one of those in PJS 7?

We passed a few blocks of flats and saw two likely spots where there were tents and crowds. But turning in and looking for them proved difficult. We found some Keadilan and PAS flags and followed them. Still, we passed a wedding kenduri first before we found the more likely one where there was someone on a stage speaking to some guests. Saw a couple of Rela members on duty and asked to confirm before we parked our car.

The next thing was to look for Nik and it was not difficult to locate the host in red baju Melayu talking to someone. Looking at the picture on the backdrop, he was hosting the event with a Syed Shahir and my first impression was that he is a union leader, and I still think I am right, that he is MTUC President.

After greetings and introductions, my wife asked, “Where is your family?” Then we were introduced to his wife, Dr. Imaan. When I mentioned our difficulty in finding the place and the tolls, Nik replied that his constituency has a few tolled roads and I believe he did not get what I was trying to tell him, that we wasted paying tolls twice even though coming from a no-toll place. After a brief chitchat, we proceeded to the food section.

To be honest, most of the people I could not recognize. Soon after, ADUN for Subang Jaya, YB Hannah Yeoh and hubby arrived. I shook hands with them but Hannah did not seem to recognize me anyway even though I used to comment in her blogsite occasionally.

I could recognise YB Azmin Ali, who came later. Offhand, I think he is MP for Gombak.
Link

3 comments:

bayi said...

If you had given me a tinkle earlier, Imy wife and I would have joined you! :)

KoSong Cafe said...

Sorry, just got back from PJ, after sending off my daughter at KLIA early this morning.

Believe me, it did occur to me to contact you since you are in Nik's constituency. Besides thinking you would probably in church on Sunday morning, I notified Nik on a 'maybe' basis as I wasn't sure whether Cheng had prior arrangement. My wife and her just got back from Bangkok and Siem Reap trip on Saturday and family dinner was arranged at the last minute. Sunday, Cheng arranged with a HELP ex-classmate to meet at Asia Jaya LRT station and we actually tried to locate the open house place with some difficulty. Since I am not sure about getting there, making further arrangement will further complicate matters...excuse my old age mentality!

I tend to go with the flow these days. Remember you said we must make it a point to meet when in Ipoh Rd/Kasipillay area? One day, I actually wanted to contact you and I waited until my friend was about to fetch his wife from work, but just then, my wife called from Petaling Street to say she is ready to go! Since I did not contact you earlier, I just let it rest!

bayi said...

I usually go to the Kasipillay area on Sundays. On other days I am in Puchong. Subang is just a short distance away. I am registered under Nik's constituency because my old house is in his area. He got 4 votes from my family!