How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, October 16, 2009

My debut at 'drumming up' support for DAP


I tried not to think about it until few days before the event organized by DAP Pasir Pinji. The programme changed often, even every few minutes at one stage of discussion, with the last minute cancellation of a 'face-changing' artiste from China. Luckily, at the last day of discussion, YB Thomas Su got a local replacement plus what we discovered at the dinner, a sweet looking Chinese female singer and a male acrobat (Chinese as in from China) to give 'value for money' entertainment to the mainly ticket buying guests cum supporters.

Some of our initial fears about not being able to sell the tickets at Rm50 was unfounded, as YB Su said he had to turn down requests from Kedah, and 4 tables from Sitiawan (within Perak), as examples.

Notable DAP elected representatives present included YB Lim Kit Siang (MP for Ipoh Timur), YB Leong Mee Meng (ADUN for Jalong), and YB Sum Cheok Leng (ADUN for Bercham)
while notable absence included State Chairman, YB Dato Ngeh Koo Ham (MP for Bruas and ADUN for Sitiawan, who is abroad), YB Nga Kor Ming (MP for Taiping and ADUN for Pantai Remis), deemed rightful Speaker, YB Sivakumar and YB Kula Segaran (MP for Ipoh Barat), the latter two because of pre-Deepavali appointments, YB Fong Po Kuan (MP for Batu Gajah) and a few others.

Notable guests present included deemed rightful Menteri Besar of Perak, YB Dato Seri Nizar (PAS ADUN for Pasir Panjang and MP for Bukit Gantang), and YB Chang Lih Kang (PKR ADUN for Teja).

Got carried away there, digressing from my personal experience part which is what this post is supposed to be about.

My offer to provide the drums kit and play for the pre-dinner (I would cheekily described as 'fore-play', not even 'opening act' like in concerts) was nearly scuttled when my wife told me that a sister had been admitted into hospital in KL and we are supposed to visit her (day before the event). Anyway, I had some DIY work to do there, so I brought along my old faithful Black & Decker drill (another story on this) to try if I could avoid getting someone else to do the job.

Looking back, it was a good job, SP changed her mind the next morning about visiting her sister when she saw the traffic jam at around 8am and we headed for home. I really needed the time to sort out the household work before I started dismantling the drums kit and putting it in the SUV (no way a car can take in my set because of the big bass drum). Because of the necessity to trick the two dogs over to the next house and pack some smaller items before I could drive the car out and to get the stuff from the next house into the car, I nearly locked myself out of my house before I got ready to go! My absent-mindedness is becoming a problem in simple tasks.

While driving to Ipoh, I had this constant worry about being stopped by the police, such is my impression of them.

My only complaint about the event was the lack of cooperation from the person in charge of the audio-visual controls. For my songs, the music was hardly audible but when he played their 'dinner starting' tune, it was really loud. So, who is the boss then, where this is concerned? Don't play play with people's employee.

Since we had to be there at 2.30pm (good information for those who had never been involved with event management), there was plenty of time to try out my drumming with what was put on to test the system. After that, the chap was off until about 6pm when we were supposed to be playing the pre-dinner tunes. Our professional saxaphonist played with his minus one CD and I tried accompanying him. It was really fun (without pressure too) when not really playing to a crowd. Most of the members present were surprised that I play drums and both Alicia and Nicole said they wanted to learn. A few boys helping as waiters came to me and said they want to watch and asked if I am willing to teach them. I am surprised that people still got the idea that a drums kit is expensive, thinking it costs over Rm10,000 when it should be as low as Rm1,200! In a way, I helped to publicize 'Drumaoke' which I had it pasted on the bass drum. It was as what I expected and wished for : when people do not consider you as a professional, then their expectation tend to be lower and this element of surprise tends to be complimentary.

The list of songs which I handed to the audio-visual guy:
Deep Purple - Smoke on the water
Maroon 5 - The Sun
Free - All right now
Biddhu - A passage to India
Jimmi Hendrix - Hey Joe
Guns N Roses - Sweet child of mind
Procol Harum - A whiter shade of pale
Pavarotti & Eros Ramazzotti - Se bastasse una canzone (pity this was left out by him)

During the dinner, a member from my branch mentioned that someone known as Ah Fai, said he knows me. I could not remember who until after I got back. An example of being noticed by someone when playing in public.

It was after the dinner was announced to have ended, and I was actually about to dismantle the cowbell, when YB Su came near the stage and said, “play something while the guests are leaving”. Because it was not planned, I started some sort of drums solo and then noticed singer Jeffrey telling me to follow the music about to come on. Yes, of course, he has yet to sing because of the packed programme. It was a pleasant surprise for me that I could just about able to accompany his Cantonese songs, bearing in mind we had never jammed or practised before. You should see the reaction of the guests because the songs were upbeat and catchy (I remember one to do with money – Cheen, cheen, cheen) and some kids actually came onto the stage. YB Leong Mee Meng was surprised and got caught on with the party-like atmosphere. Even the 'face-changing' artiste showed his 'thumb up' to me while in the changing room. Now, this is better than what I expected for not really playing for the event!

After the joyous music and songs, YB Su suggested a group picture of those involved in the organization of the successful event. It was relief and happiness.

Then, I had to think of the dismantling and packing into the car, the various items of the drums kit. I was really glad that I did not have to carry much because members did most of the work of carrying from the entrance to the stage at the back before the dinner, and vice versa, at the end.

Now, I can't wait for the CD to see if there is any part that I can pick to post in my blog!

Link

No comments: