How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Deja vu: lost my way to The Club, Bukit Utama


The unpleasant feeling was similar to the time we lost our way coming back from LCCT to Ciao, Italian Restaurant in KL, via Maju Expressway for the first time.
The urgency to get to the venue on time (son's wedding reception then) and this time, wedding dinner of two persons introduced by daughter, Cheng.
Bride was a childhood friend of Cheng (since kindergarten days) and groom, ex-coursemate in HELP. The weekend before was bride's wedding reception in Ipoh and groom confirmed that we were invited for the groom's too, because of our role in the matchmaking process! But because Cheng was unable to attend, sister had to represent her as co-MC for the event, which included a surprise to the couple, of a short video clip of Cheng in Maastricht wishing them all the best.
Anyway, since I had been to The Club before, I was quite confident of the way (big mistake). Wife, as usual, got ready past the usual '7.00 pm sharp' leaving no time for mistake. Before, I had my daughter telling me the way (from Section 17) past Bandar Utama junction to look out for Houz, to get to the entrance to The Club. But this time, she had to be at the venue early, and I was on my own (no help from wife because she refuses to know KL) and turned into BU instead! From there it was one mistake after another which eventually led us to Kota Damansara! Half my problem was my poor night vision for the purpose of knowing the way anywhere. If ever there was a need for me to change to a smart phone, GPS would be the main reason. But then again, I might still have to contend with my wife as GPS override! Fortunately, my son was at home and able to give directions by phone to my wife while I drove on, feeling lousy for being useless, especially as an ex-KLite.
It is easy for anyone to say that he or she would avoid living in KL, but we cannot avoid KL because of children's place of work and residence. The longer I stayed away, the more out of touch I am with the new highways and highrise buildings.
That night after dinner we had to send a friend to the hotel. I was really fortunate as in not tempted to take an illegal U-turn while looking for Royale Bintang The Curve (imagine, there are two in the vicinity: one in The Curve and another in Mutiara Damansara). As I past the junction (meant for residents coming out from some condominums), I saw a police car waiting for those who break the rule!


Link

No comments: