How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Making an effort to go to a forum in Subang Jaya

What an effort it was for me! It was titled, Surviving the Economy, a forum organized by Keadilan.

As usual, I prefer to go without making prior booking for a seat, not so much I did not expect a bigger than capacity attendance, as I do not want to pressure myself. If I made it there on time, then well and good. If not, nobody is going to miss me anyway.

These days, to make me go to KL, I need at least two matters to attend to, to consider it worthwhile. For this trip, it was the forum at Multi-purpose Hall in Subang Jaya; to deliver a picture to a friend’s new office; to have Nee’s old notebook checked by a friend, after it crashed; and to deliver half a dozen bottles of soy sauce made in Sg. Siput, specially ordered by a brother.

At my IT friend’s place, I used his detailed book of maps to figure out how to get to Jalan SS15/4, Subang Jaya. What was shown on the location as instructed by the notice was not good enough for someone from out of town. As I was toying with the idea of going there by train, I tried to relate it to the location of KTM station in Jalan SS16/1, Subang Jaya. With the detailed maps, I had to continue from one page to another, eg. Pg 394 to 395 and back to 365, just to see the continuation of certain roads.

My first decision was by the route I am familiar with ie. from Federal Highway, turn into Jln Kewajipan, Jln Kemajuan Subang, Jln Jengka, then turn into Jalan SS15/4 where the hall would have been at the right. Then, on second thought, I looked for an alternative route which appeared shorter: instead of joining Jln Jengka, I could turn left into SS15/2A, left again into SS15/3B, and finally turn right into SS15/4, and the hall should be on the left.

After dinner, my friend said it is easier to go from Kuchai Lama via NPE to join Federal Highway, before the turn-off into Jalan Kewajipan. This appealed to me, I thought. But after dinner, at about 8pm, it was already dark. I followed her car. The problem with my eyesight now is that I am half-blind at night. What used to be familiar during the day is now strange at night, almost totally different. Even before the toll, she called me to warn that I should keep to the right after the toll because she has smartcard while I have only stupid cash. Despite the instruction, I went on the flyover instead, all because of the overhead sign stating Jalan Jengka! But I’m sure most people would agree, the road signs here are meant to mislead a first time user. I mean, after the first sign, there is no second sign to re-assure you that you are on the right track! So I was lost after that, seeing myself in USJ instead! I just used my hunches and tried my luck. Fortunately, there are signs showing Jalan SS13, 14, etc. from which I could relate to. I did not know I was on Jalan Jengka (until later) when I saw a sign showing Subang Jaya should be in the opposite direction! I did a U-turn and tried again. Fortunately, (again, my complaint is that signs showing us to turn left could be misleading, and often I turned either too early or too late) I turned into a road showing Public Bank and then a road which was mentioned in my location map ie. Jalan SS15/8A.

I decided that it is better to ask for directions and walk to the place. I asked a lady in a car, waiting for someone. As expected, she looked at me with suspicion, then wound down an inch of the car window and listened to my query. She suggested that I take the car but I told her I would walk instead. It was a fairly short walk before I could see the hawker centre which is across the road from the Multi-purpose Hall.

I only missed the introduction as I saw Tony Pua going on to the stage. I looked around, trying to see some familiar faces. I saw Nik Nazmi and went over to shake his hand before I sat a couple of seats from him. I recognized Hannah Yeoh and her husband. She turned back to smile at a number of her friends. I was glad she recognized me from the last convention, I think.

Initially, the speakers slated were Tony Pua, Tian Chua, Nik Nazmi and Tricia Yeoh. But William Leong appeared to have taken Tian Chua’s place.

Briefly, from the speeches, I am glad that we have a group of highly intelligent and capable leaders who are out to make a difference. Some might be young but what they lack in terms of experience, they more than make up with their passion and interest in taking up the challenge in their current positions. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going! Anyone not up to the mark would be replaced by a pool of suitably qualified people.

I would like to have met all the speakers, if not for the fact that the forum ended half an hour later than expected, ie. 11.00pm! - the time I was supposed to be at my friend’s house in Titiwangsa! I asked someone on the way out of the hall and he gave me the directions to go back to the Federal Highway and I was half an hour late. Another ex-classmate (since kindergarten days, who is now a Canadian citizen) was also putting up in his place. He was really surprised to see me, exclaiming, “Why didn’t you tell me you are waiting for this fella?!”

No comments: