How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Never argue with an idiot, otherwise people won't know which one of you is the idiot.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appears bright - until you hear them speak.

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan


Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Lee Wee Tak's analysis of Najib's confidence

"The famous retiree, Mr. Ng Chak Ngoon has certainly attracted national attention with his malapportionment bombshell in the PSC hearing for electoral reform in Sabah. With BN only needing around 15% of the votes to secure a simple majority in parliament, no wonder Najib expressed his confidence in the just concluded UMNO AGM that UMNO will win the general election yet again.

Inspired by Mr. Ng’s call, I did some number crunching over the weekend. And I found a near prefect “75% - 25%” rule at work.

Total number of registered voters for GE2008 was 10,923,140 (that would include people above 100 years old voters as well as phantom voters as well) and the total number of parliamentary seats is 222. In order to truly reflect 1 voice 1 vote a parliamentary constituency should be made up to 49,199 (ie. 10,923,140 divided by 222) or round up to 50,000 voters per seat.

As the 75% - 25% rule is at work, you will note that
# 75% of the parliamentary constituencies have registered voters below 50,000
# 25% of the parliamentary constituencies have registered voters above 50,000

Of the 75% constituencies with less than 50,000 registered voters – 75% of the seats are won by BN (remaining 25% go to PR)
Of the 75% constituencies with more than 50,000 voters – 75% of the seats are won by PR (remaining 25% go to BN)"

(Historical facts show BN's advantage as a result of gerrymandering):

(courtesy of Tindak Malaysia)

"If you look at the top 24 seats, you will find 79% of the seats are won by PR with majority many times over total registered voters of Putrajaya (a mere 6,608 with 5,416 turned out to vote – just fill up stadium hoki Tun Razak whose capacity is 5,000)"


Source:
An imaginary address to malapportionment
http://wangsamajuformalaysia.blogspot.com/2011/12/imaginary-address-to-malapportionment.html

While Najib basks in confidence, for those interested in reform and change they should work doubly hard in order to shake his confidence. The first step for those eligible is to register; for those registered and eligible to vote, make an effort to vote on election day. Just vote according to your conscience.
Link

No comments: