How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Like Balik Kampung

For last night's family reunion dinner before sending Cheng off, I suggested my favourite Hokien Mee stall in Jalan Ipoh, KL, between the Indian temple and HSBC.

Just to give an idea of how long we had been here, my late father was born somewhere off Jalan Ipoh in 1909! 101 years ago, yet we feel unwelcome as citizens.

My youngest child is my father's youngest grandchild and she is number 35! It occurred to me to contact some relatives who live nearby but the time pressure would make it unsuitable. I contacted a friend for some information but did not ask him in case he felt obliged to treat us. So it was just us, plus my son's girl friend. We left BG before 4.00pm and arrived PJ just after 6.00pm. Nee just got back from work and we rested before setting off for Jalan Ipoh. Son was delayed at work and had to fetch girl friend. We were there early and ordered (as advised) so that we are in queue and could ask to start cooking when everyone arrived.

When my son and friend came, imagine my pleasant surprise to see a nephew and his family members walking in! My daughter said I always meet someone I know in the vicinity. Why not? Even the chef is a grandson of the original 'Ah Lok' whom I knew as a kid!

I have wanted to mention to my nephew that my son is going out with someone he knew as a former colleague but refrained from doing so. I never knew it could be such a coincidence! Without any initiative on my part, they met. It was also uncanny in that my nephew is now based in the Middle East and happened to be on holiday for a few days. The last time I met him was in a coffee shop in Jalan Kuala Kangsar, Ipoh when he was on his way to Langkawi and I was waiting for my car which was being serviced. I always believe we do not need to fix appointment if we have affinity with each other.

As it was still early, I suggested we adjourn to the Old Town Kopitiam in Riverview (Low Yat's project). Cheng noticed I felt uncomfortable and I told her the reason being her bags were in the car, but visible. Even with security guards around, I was worried, as usual.

Cheng's one-month holiday here (except few days in Bali, Indonesia) seems so short and sweet. While driving back at 1.00am, got a text from her that she was boarding the plane and thanked us for the lovely time. She said it was nice to be back. The now rare and occasional immediate family reunions and heart warming feedbacks are encouraging to us as parents. We have to get used to separation, as even our other two children's jobs in Malaysia require international travel.

I cannot help but be reminded of the guy in BG, who commented that people who are educated have no time for their parents. As someone who placed priority on parents and family, even as househusband, it is time for me to think: 'anything different from me is good for them'!

Link

No comments: