How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, August 28, 2009

A piece of cake

Yesterday, after a light lunch at a home-based eatery in Selama, I saw some individually wrapped pieces of butter cake. It reminded me of my young days as a kid, craving for those put on the table in coffee shops selling for 15 sen each. With inflation, one piece costs Rm1 now.

Today, I decided to try my friend's butter cake selling at Rm5.70 each and he even gave me a discount of 70 sen. He cut it into 10 pieces and it works out at just over 50 sen each (without discount). Sometimes, what we crave for are simple things in life, not those elaborate and expensive stuff. My wife made her own wedding cake and wedding dress (her childhood wish) but would rather buy me new shorts instead of sewing buttons that came off. My elder daughter is coming back for holiday and she can bake nice cakes, but it is easier buying than wait for her! She has already planned going places when back. A brother-in-law reminded me that she should look him up. My sister, celebrating her 50th wedding anniversary, chose a date which coincides with my daughter's ex-classmate's wedding! We were invited as well, but I would have to go to my sister's instead. Just imagine, celebrating 50th golden wedding anniversary at the age of 66!

Anyway, I need jokes to keep me going:

A Doctor was addressing a large audience in Tampa.

'The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here, years ago. Red meat is awful. Soft drinks corrode your stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. High fat diets can be disastrous, and none of us realizes the long-term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water. However, there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all and we all have eaten, or will eat it. Can anyone here tell me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?'

After several seconds of quiet, a 75-year-old man in the front row raised his hand, and softly said, 'Wedding Cake.'
Link

No comments: