How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Why it is good to be early when travelling

  
We never know what we could have forgotten or if by car, whether a massive traffic jam could cause our journey to be longer than expected. I have known a few cases of people who had forgotten their passports on their way to the airport. This and other things like visa requirements (esp. those difficult ones), and being scrutinized before being allowed into the country (UK), or sometimes, problems with customs regulations concerning certain food items (Australia) and so on. I have almost given up on international travel. So this is about local travel.


Last Thursday, I was due to travel by KTM's ETS to KL at 3.10 pm. Knowing my wife, I told her 3 pm so that I could be there without having to rush. But soon after sitting down on a bench, when I wanted to telephone a friend I realized I forgot to bring along my mobile phone! So it was, from a relaxing trip, I was anxious about how to get my mobile, and if I could get it on time!

These days, not having our mobile phone with us would make us insecure, though we had been through many years without such convenience. But having been reliant on this gadget, without it, I would have a hard time in KL/PJ because I intended to stay until Sunday without my own car. I had arranged with my siblings to visit my parents' and grandparents' graves early Friday morning (Ching Ming); with friends for a jam session on Saturday afternoon; followed by Selangor Ongs' Clansmen Association 50th Anniversary dinner. As it turned out later, all train tickets back to Ipoh for Sunday were sold out because of the end of the school holidays and also because of Ching Ming. I gathered those who were on their way north by car on Saturday, could only reach Behrang, after two and a half hours!

Anyway, I was surprised at myself for being cool this time. Though I recognized a woman with her daughter (who is related to someone I know), I rather approach a stranger, in this case, the Malay operator of KTM's cafe. After listening to my explanation, he dialled my wife's mobile number and handed his smart phone to me. I told my wife where I have left my phone and I waited, anxiously looking at KTM's digital time displayed. I had only 12 minutes' time and I asked the ticketing girls whether there was any delay (the only time anybody would wish for a train delay!). It was on time unfortunately. But I was stll hopeful. With less than 5 minutes to go, I felt relief when I saw my wife's car and I could see her holding out my phone like a baton to be passed. Instead of a smile for having made it, I got a frown instead, as if it was a prank. I must point out that earlier the cafe man refused to charge me for the call but I paid him 30 sen. After I got the phone, I waved it at him and gave a thumbs up sign. I am sure it made his day too.

Living near an LRT station is definitely convenient. On Monday morning, I declined my son's offer of a lift to the LRT station. I left the house on my own minutes after, having to walk to it, take the train from KJ 21 to KJ 15, buy the ETS ticket and wait for the KTM train to Batu Gajah. All these (from house to KL Sentral) within an hour... and I managed, with 15 minutes to spare, for just in case! But I must admit, age is catching up. My brisk walk to the LRT station made me breathless when I reached the last two steps and the train was about to leave. I chose not to rush for it in case I might collapse! I knew I had enough time because the trains were frequent and the journey from Asia Jaya to KL Sentral took only 15 minutes.

Link

No comments: