How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, June 11, 2010

If it is working, don't fix it

I have been having such a motto for a long time. Being a pessimist, I worry over unnecessary changes which might create new problems... and I was proven right many times. You cannot believe everything they claim in advertisements. Sometimes, the product or service just cannot meet the expectations of the people.

My wife is known for procrastinations, except when it comes to travel. But this isn't about travel but internet connection. We have had Streamyx for a number of years despite complaints of this and the other... a case of no choice, especially with telephone fixed line. I was toying with the idea of giving up the fixed line but because at the time, all 3 children were then overseas. Fixed line's main advantage is the cheap overseas call, especially from abroad and when using the I-Talk card locally to call overseas. Calling UK is much cheaper than calling Holland, so Cheng has to call us instead or when she uses Skype. Now, 2 of them are back so the advantages are no longer there except for Cheng to call a fixed line.

One day, a friend called my wife and told her that she has opted for this Streamyx Wifi package (at Rm90 per month) which provides, among other things, free national calls to other TM lines. The very next day, without discussion with me, she signed up for the change, despite knowing that our original contract has bills ending 25th of each month. Few days later, a TM contractor's rep came to supply the free router/modem and to set it. So my grouse was also the overlapping period when it started from May 13, and the mistaken assumption about the cheaper calls to mobile numbers which I found out only after I have received the latest bill. Eg. a call to a 012 number in KL costed 75 sen per minute!

Now, whether I like it or not, I am stuck with this Wifi package for at least one year. It is ok if I found it convenient. But I have had problems using it. Sometimes, it showed 'no network', other times, I had to key in the WEP key to get in even set at auto, and to make it worse, it 'trips' soon after!

Before this, I was thinking of giving up the Streamyx using cable, to switch to Digi Wifi. I got one for my daughter in PJ, starting with a starter pack at Rm20 which comes with Rm10 connection for 5 days. It worked well, though there is the inconvenience of buying 'top-up' cards. But then again, any time one is going away for a period, there is no wastage as in a postpaid. Anyway, postpaid saves only Rm2 per month.

Honestly, I have a phobia with postpaid since my wife's nightmare with Celcom years ago. A following month's bill can include the previous month's for certain calls not included! How could we tell? My phobia is that I dread to receive bills which can come with items which are subject to arguments based on 'your words against mine'.

Now, thanks to my wife's sudden efficiency, I am stuck with this Wifi on a 'now you get it, now you don't' basis. Getting help from TM is a hassle I wish to avoid if I could.



Link

No comments: