How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Confessions of a bassist wannabe

Just imagine someone who was still unfamiliar with the scales on the bass guitar, played bass for a church when he was still unfamiliar with the hymns! On top of that, he was given only 10 out of 16 song sheets, not knowing the right sequence! But despite the fumbling for the right song sheet, it turned out passable to most, judging from the few friends who thanked me personally and even one young Indian guy who even said 'you're good' in appreciation! I was so surprised at that that I did not even thank him in case I heard wrongly!

Just to put in perspective (for those who are unfamiliar with music amplification), electric bass guitar (or double bass with microphone at the right place) can provide the 'oomph' in a subtle way. So for a congregation used to being without a bass guitarist, even a beginner playing the right notes helps to improve the overall musical performance together with the choir. Furthermore, we were aided by a bongo player!

Then there was this unfair comparison with an unprepared lone rhythm guitarist (eg. borrowed guitar on site) who played in a different key to what the Chinese choir were singing! Later, I was told (by someone who knows Chinese) that a song was sung different from what was displayed on the projected board! So, I was good compared with an unprepared and unaided example!

To be honest, I had to prepare under difficult circumstances. A week ago, a chance meeting with one of the two guitarists led me to their practice the same night. I was sharing with two others, one set of song sheets on a stand. Then I was given the 10 song lyrics with chords. Bear in mind I was unfamiliar with the hymns other than the universal ones like Mary's boy child, Silent night and We wanna wish you a Merry Christmas. I had to search Youtube for those and sometimes they were in different keys.

I waited for the guitarist one night for a practice session but he did not turn up. I told myself that I might as well just give up. Then it was arranged for the following day and a quick run through, it ended up more like his display of old pop songs that he liked! I wished I was in the mood for that because I was more anxious of not being able to play even the basic notes correctly.

On the song sheets, I had to draw up the scales next to the songs for quick reference in case I needed to. I even had to mark a few places on the bass guitar just to ensure I get the right notes of those I was unfamiliar with! It was worth the effort. Now, there is a standing invitation to play on Sundays! I can treat it like bass practice while serving the church!

No comments: