How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, February 03, 2011

How long do you worry about your kids?

Just a couple of days ago, Cheng mentioned how she was touched when I was faced with her intention to go as a Rotary International exchange student for 1 year in Japan, at the age of 17. My initial, 'Forget it' turned to a supportive stance, with purchase of a Japanese dictionary and CD for her trip. I am sure most parents will understand that my initial reaction was out of worry and fear of the unknown, hoping I would not have to worry during her stay there. The following writeup (author unknown) on the subject of Worry explains...

WORRY
Is there an imaginary cutoff period when offspring become accountable for their own actions?
Is there some wonderful moment when parents can become detached spectators in the lives of their children and shrug, 'It's Their life,' and feel nothing?

When I was in my twenties, I stood in a hospital corridor waiting for doctors to put a few stitches
in my son's head and I asked, 'When do you stop worrying?'
The nurse said, 'When they get out of the accident stage.'
My Parents just smiled faintly and said nothing.

When I was in my thirties, I sat on a little chair in a classroom and heard how one of my children
talked incessantly, disrupted the class, and was headed for a career making license plates.
As if to read my mind, a teacher said, 'Don't worry, they all go through this stage and then you can sit back, relax and enjoy them.'
My Parents just smiled faintly and said nothing.

When I was in my forties, I spent a lifetime waiting for the phone to ring, the cars to come home,
the front door to open.
A friend said, 'They're trying to find themselves. 'Don't worry! In a few years, they'll be adults.
'They'll be off on their own they'll be out of your hair'
My Parents just smiled faintly and said nothing.

By the time I was 50, I was sick & tired of being vulnerable. I was still worrying over my children, but there was a new wrinkle. Even though they were on their own I continued to anguish over their failures, be tormented by their frustrations and absorbed in their disappointments... and there was nothing I could do about it.
My Parents just smiled faintly and said nothing.

My friends said that when my kids got married I could stop worrying and lead my own life. I wanted to believe that, but I was haunted by my parent's warm smiles and their occasional,
'You look pale. Are you all right' ? 'Call me the minute you get home'. Are you depressed about something?'

My friends said that when I became a grandparent that I would get to enjoy the happy little voices yelling Grandma! Papa! But now I find that I worry just as much about the little kids as the big ones. How can anyone cope with all this Worry?

Can it be that parents are sentenced to a lifetime of worry?
Is concern for one another handed down like a torch to blaze the trail of human frailties and the fears of the unknown?
Is concern a curse or is it a virtue that elevates us to the highest form of earthly creation?

Recently, one of my own children became quite irritable, saying to me, 'Where were you?
I've been calling for 3 days, and no one answered I was worried.'
I smiled a warm smile. The torch has been passed.

This year's Petronas CNY advert seems relevant to this post...

No comments: