How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Cheng's Exhilarating Experience as an Exchange Student in Japan

Another surprise for Cheng from me... actually typing out her essay in her school magazine for this post!

An Exhilarating Experience

I was an exchange student under the Rotary International Student Exchange Programme to Japan for one year. Before I start spinning the yarn about my adventures in The Land of The Rising Sun, please bear in mind that 'one year' is quite a long period of time and below lies only the 'tip of the iceberg'...

I arrived Japan on that fateful January 19th day (2001). Tokyo was embracing one of its coldest winters; coming from a sunny tropical country, I took quite some time to get used to the weather. It isn't supposed to snow much in Tokyo but I experienced my first snowfall on my second day in Tokyo. It was a rather magical experience to see the world around you transformed into a crystal-like ephemeral white kingdom by snow, heard of only in fairy tales. The 'fun' part was definitely the making of my first snowball!

From Day One, I have adapted well to Tokyo, thanks to the accommodating host families and friends. They have introduced me to the Tokyo everyday life, from the transportation systems (very important as millions of Tokyo residents depend on them everyday), to the food. To most Malaysians, 'sushi' (rice ball with raw seafood and seaweed), 'ramen' (Chinese noodles served in a gigantic bowl) and 'tempura' (deep-fried seafood and vegetables) are commonly associated with the label 'Japanese food', but there are more to Japanese food. I discovered I like 'kare raisu' (Japanese-styled curry rice, definitely not as spicy as ours!), 'yakitori' (picture Malaysian chicken sate, but bigger), and so forth.

Soon after, I started school in Gakushuin Senior Girls' High School. My first day of school was exhilarating as I was exposed to the contrasting different school system practiced by Gakushuin compared to good old small town school St. Bernadette's, and was 'ambushed' by curious but friendly classmates. There were a few things to get used to for me; school starts at 8.30am and ends at 3pm; we have school on Saturdays too; we bring our own 'obento' (lunchboxes) and eat them in our class during lunchtime; we have different shoes for everything (one smart black one to go to school, one for the school compound, one for the gym and another for the tennis court); nevertheless, the most awkward thing for me, was definitely the school uniform, the famous 'serafuku' (sailor uniform: think sailormoon!), which was three fingers ABOVE my knees as opposed to my previous school's three-fingers-BELOW-the-knee rule for all skirts! But worry not, in no time, I was accustomed to its dos and don'ts, even the short school skirts! (grin)

In Gakushuin, I started off as a first grader of senior high school (equivalent to our Form Three). I studied Japanese language with a few other exchange students; Japanese Calligraphy, Japanese History and host of other subjects with my classmates, like Chemistry, Physical Education, Home Economics, et cetera. As for extra-curricular activities, I tried a few months of 'Kendo' (Japanese Fencing with a bamboo sword and elaborate protective gear), and Japanese Dancing.

One or more memorable experiences has to be the one with a few other Malaysian exchange students and I, gallantly attempting a Malay dance for my school festival. With only a Siti Nurhaliza CD and faint memories of watching enough Malay dances back in our schooldays (note: no prior-on-experiences!!).we gave the Japanese audience a 'taste' of Malaysia, if not a meek imitation of the 'real' Malay dance. (grin) Best of all, they requested for an 'encore'!

Japan also boasts the four-season phenomenon. Besides winter, there is spring. In Japan, spring doesn't start until the sakura tree (cherry blossom) dutifully prepares to bloom like every other year. In full bloom, the sakura tree has no leaves except for its thousands of pinkish white flowers, creating the illusion of rows of delectable cotton candies by the road. While summer happens to be any day in Malaysia, spelling 'heat and humidity', autumn is considered to be one of the best of the four seasons in Japan. Fine weather while autumn-ish fruits like pears, peaches, persimmons and grapes are well-loved by Japanese alike. Then, they enjoy the thousands of golden-brown and red leaves of maple trees, truly a sight to behold!

Last year was my year of unforgettable experience in Japan. I realize how lucky I was to have been in Japan and also be a part of the lives of the many generous people who have given me short yet delightful glimpse of their wonderful lives. I am still very excited to introduce my 'little Japan' to Malaysia, comprising of 2000-plus pictures, Japanese knickknacks, knowledge of Japan, its language and culture, and tonnes of 'fond memories'. I refuse to think that I have become any 'less Malaysian' ever since, but shall agree that it has changed my perception towards my own country and its colourful people (yes, that's you folks!)

Perhaps, an exchange student's term can sum life itself as a whole; how we meet various people, experience new things, make friends, part with them and move on to the next stage in life. Before I get too 'philosophical' here, a huge 'arigato' to everyone who had been guiding me throughout my years in St. Bernadette's. And, I am just as glad to have learnt another way to express gratitude.
Link

No comments: