How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

On old cars and how history repeated itself...

43 years ago, my dad had a Riley which was used occasionally to take us to school. I used to cringe at the thought of having to travel in what looked like a car used by the Germans during World War 2.
Riley RME Saloon 1.5 :
Sunbeam Alpine Series V:
Just over 10 years ago, I managed to get one of our two Sunbeam Alpines going and took it to school to fetch my daughters. Nee actually told me that she is not getting into the car if I used it again!
My most memorable (more like harrowing) experience with the Riley was when I stopped to post a letter. I forgot to release the handbrake and this had the effect of disabling the pedal brake (I think) because when I reached the trafffic lights at Sentul police station (along Jalan Ipoh towards town) I realised the pedal brake did not work. Fortunately, the motorcyclists saw my expression and let me pass the red lights!
A rich lady who lived in Jalan Madge borrowed the Riley for a few days but liked it so much that she did not return it till we asked for it after a month!
The Riley was sold to our tenant, Ha Tham of Ha Tham Engineering Works, who used it for a number of years before it was scrapped, I think. Ha Tham was acknowledged by Eric Chia to be his sifu when he used to visit the workshop to learn more about repairing tractors, before he went big on Komatsu tractors and listed UMW.
I am surprised the Sunbeam Alpine V was featured in the first James Bond film. If only we could restore them again. The thought of inspection by Puspakom puts me off. I remember writing a letter to a newspaper motor journalist enquiring about using a Japanese engine instead. Soon after, I received a letter from JPJ asking to inspect the car, suspecting that the engine had been changed! Don't under-estimate the power of the press!

No comments: