How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Criticizing Umno is not anti-Malay

I wish to refer to my earlier post, 'Mr. PM, please don't say things if you don't mean it' and my comment in Dr. Chua Soi Lek's blog on 'Bumiputra housing quota' for which I received a nasty racist comment from someone who hides behind 'anonymous'. I have a choice of ignoring it, respond to it or respond and highlight it which is what I am doing now. I believe if one is sincere, there is no worry over narrow-minded people getting the wrong idea. March 8 was proof of Umno's arrogance and double standards in administration which put off a substantial number of Malays as well.

For the convenience of readers, I have reproduced Anonymous's comment (in bold highlighted by me) and my reply, and link to Dr. Chua's blog:

i am writing to you referring to you post in dr chua s.l saying that MCA should get out of BN. May i suggest that the chinese community as whole get out of Persekutuan Tanah Melayu if you remember or ever study history or should i ask Prof Khoo Khay Kim to see you and explain the whole bloody matter. You are so chauvanis, mind my spelling and i dun care if i did'nt spell it right. If you bloody chinese were to rule Malaysia, i think you would be killing the Malays or other bumiputras slowly but surely.
11:29 AM


My reply:

I stand by what I have posted as well as commented in Dr. Chua Soi Lek’s blog suggesting that:
“MCA should be able to speak out and if necessary, get out of BN. The party can stay independent but will lose some cabinet positions. It will gain more respect instead of being servile to a dominant party. However, the giving up of position seems so difficult to forego as it will affect the ambitions of future leaders.”

Anybody reading my blog should be able to tell that I am put off by the numerous bullying by members and leaders of Umno with impunity because of double standards in enforcing rules and regulations. I have no quarrel with Malays, just unreasonable leaders in Umno.

If you have read Zaid Ibrahim’s speech which I have posted earlier, then you should be able to tell that I welcome writings by him, Raja Petra, Malik Imtiaz, Karim Raslan, Marina Mahathir and so on, simply because of their objectivity and boldness in criticising some of the policies and actions by our government leaders, especially those in Umno.

I believe one Malay telling the truth is better than 10 Chinese or Indians because of our climate of racial sensitivity. In my blogging, I have set myself a vision of trying to be a small part of public opinions and influence for change towards no racially based parties.

Whether or not a Chinese or Indian can rule Malaysia is hypothetical during our lifetime and there is no use in losing sleep over it. What I am against is the sheer hypocrisy of Pak Lah’s statement in the context of our current political situation.

According to Zaid:
The Malays, Zaid said, are now a clear majority in numbers and the fear of their being outnumbered is baseless."

They are not under seige. The institutions of government are such that the Malays are effectively represented, and there is no way the interest of the Malays can be taken away other than through their own weakness and folly."
Its only a matter of time!

So why should you worry that the Chinese is going to rule when it is not going to happen for God knows when? If Pakatan Rakyat were to rule, Anwar Ibrahim will be PM, so what's the problem?
4:17 PM

I am leaving it to readers to form their own opinion. Wouldn't you be concerned for his kind of response to my criticism? For those interested, please visit Dr. Chua's site where I have posted two comments to get a better idea.

No comments: