How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, November 14, 2011

KTM needs to brush up their English...

and encourage some of their ticketing staff to serve with a smile.

There is a page on its in-train visual screen thanking passengers for their support on their 1st Anniversary in August 2011, with 'all our guest'. If 'guest', then it should be 'guests', but guests would seem to suggest at their invitation and free of charge! Therefore, I think they should use 'patrons' or 'customers' instead.

As it happened, on my third trip on ETS, just when I thought it is more reliable than the old service, the train stopped somewhere before Rawang, followed by an announcement to inform us that there was a problem with signals and the announcer apologised in Malay and then English, '...I is apologise...'.

Normally, I do not make appointment with someone to receive me at a station but this time, with my brother-in-law at Kepong Sentral. With technical problem, nobody could tell how long it would take. So it was a relief when the train started moving after 15 minutes delay. Though the train sped to catch up time, it was late by 10 minutes and my b-i-l was too early. He called me 5 minutes before scheduled time and asked if I had arrived, because he saw a train passed by while waiting on the road, on Bukit Maluri side.

It was my second time coming out of Kepong Sentral station, after a lapse of two years. Again, for someone with poor memory, the signboards seemed lacking or unhelpful. There were turnstiles with machines meant for cards and other openings and passages (separated by grilles) which would confuse any first time visitor. I had to ask someone which was the right way to go out because my ticket was obviously not meant for going through those turnstiles. (I went through a turnstile without problem, so all it needs is a sign 'Keluar/ Out' above those turnstiles.) After walking along a passage and wondering if I was on the right track, there were some signs indicating places like Kompleks Desa. It reminded me of when I was in KL Sentral recently, when walking to the Monorail terminal. Only nearing it were there signs to it. In other words, just because nobody complained or management did not bother, travellers are expected to know by asking and trying out a few times! Welcome to Malaysian signposting.

On my return trip, I left PJ house after 11 am on Sunday. I did not have the number to call KTM and I assumed there should be one train leaving around 1 pm to Ipoh. I reached the ticketing counter a few minutes before 12 noon. But before knowing the time, I asked the girl for the next train to BG and was informed 'dua belas empat puluh' or '12.40'. I asked for the time but she did not reply, and only then I noticed the clock up on the wall behind her. So it was me asking a silly question then. Throughout the transaction, she just put on a stern look. It made me wonder, 'Is it because I made use of my 'warga emas' status to get discounted fare?' Or it could be she was unhappy over some personal matter, or simply being asked to work on a Sunday! What is the point of having hair cut by 'A cut above' when the service does not come with a smile, which must be the most basic in customer relations. The funny thing about smiles is that it is either they over do it or without, most management or trainers could not get it right with their staff.
Link

No comments: