How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, November 19, 2011

A favour well remembered

When an ex-classmate at school called up to invite me for dinner at Wah Chai, Menglembu, I presumed like before, I was going to meet his golfing mates after a game somewhere in Ipoh.

He promised to call again, allowing me 20 minutes to get there. I was at the restaurant earlier than them and when asked if anybody had booked, the lady boss replied, 'Yes, ordered 'loh mai kai' (a deboned chicken stuffed with glutinous rice which had to be ordered a day earlier)'. 'From KL?' and she replied, 'Yes.'

I was most surprised, when in walked a group of seven who included four ladies who I have not met before. As it turned out, they were on their way to take part in the Penang Bridge International Marathon! A young couple were trainers from Fitness First and the rest were senior executives of my friend.

Being old friends, and our friendship started with our parents, there were lots of stories about us which seemed to take up most of our conversation topics. Anyway, my friend always remind me of the time when I did a small favour when he and his golfing friends played at Clearwater Sanctuary some 15 years ago. There was no proper clubhouse and no food and beverage facilities. He called me to buy him some wantan noodles from Pusing's Ming Foong. When he said I provided good service which seemed like a picnic, I could not recall at the dinner. But it is slowly coming back. Now I think I can remember that I used a proper tiffin carrier, with proper plates, chopsticks and spoons. My youngest daughter went with me too. Last night he joked about it that because of that favour, now he owes me a treat whenever he is in Ipoh!

Link

No comments: