How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, October 18, 2012

AES: Another entrapment scheme?

The Automated Enforcement System (AES), since its initial installations at selected locations, has been severely criticised by the public, opposition leaders and even some BN leaders. The superior system as compared with earlier ones, is claimed to be foolproof in providing incontrovertible evidence to nail traffic offenders. The speed at which it is able to issue summons within 5 days is commendable since earlier complaints were about the long lapse in time since an alleged offence.

My personal experiences with the old system (if it can be called a system) at different times and locations had convinced me of its weaknesses. As a frequent traveller of the old trunk road and later North-South Expressway, especially between KL and Batu Gajah almost every weekend for 12 years (1982-1994), my record of being stopped by police for alleged offences was few and far between. Yet, there were mistakes by the police.

I was stopped just after the flyover over Jalan Ipoh-Jalan Kepong roundabout by some police for alleged speeding. Another time was along the trunk road after Gopeng where the speed limit was 90 km/h. Then, there was once along the quiet stretch (through a kampung) near Chenderiang and before Temoh, where the speed limit was at an impractical 60 km/h. In retrospect and with experience, I would not have entertained their offers of settlement since they had no evidence. All three were obvious roadblocks set up to make some extra money for themselves.

Once, while on my way, I was booked for overtaking a lorry at a double-lined road near Templers' Park. I argued with then OCPD ACP Murray over what if it was a slow steam-roller? He said the police was only enforcing traffic rules set by Highway Authority and he was kind enough to reduce it to Rm30. On another trip, I was stopped on the NSE near Gua Tempurung and was issued a summons for speeding near Tapah interchange (in other words, warnings by oncoming vehicles were too late). I was told I could appeal for a reduced fine. So on my way back to KL, with an appeal letter promising not to exceed speed limits, I went to see the traffic officers in Tapah police station. I was told that they cannot reduce by more than 50%, so the fine of Rm150 (based on the speed exceeding the limit) was reduced to Rm80. It was a year or two later that I received a summons for travelling at over 100 km/h along Jalan Duta, KL! Fortunately, I was sure my usual speed along that particular road never reached that speed, and on top of that, it was on National Day when I was likely to have been back in BG to be with my family. A police officer who helped me to check, confirmed that the registration number and even the make of car was wrong! It looked like a Volvo 240 instead of my old BMW 728i! Since then, I am convinced that the 'mistake' could be the work of an overzealous policeman who used details in their record to try their luck on some unfortunate vehicle owners.

Another instance was even more incredible. I was with a sister-in-law, taking my mother-in-law on a northbound trip from BG. After the tunnel (NSE), my SIL commented about my slow speed. I told her that I could not afford heavy fines and being the driver, I was responsible for my action. Despite that, when we were flagged down by police near Bukit Merah laketown, I was both apprehensive and annoyed at myself. I am sure most drivers would agree that we can never be perfectly sure that we had not exceeded the speed limits during a road trip. But I was determined to accept any summon and would ask for photo to prove it later. So my serious and unhappy expression was shown to the policeman who came near our car. Just before that, my lawyer SIL joked that we will take it all the way to Privy Council, an actual experience which she had dealt with before over a land matter. Somehow, we were let off! Till today, I cannot be sure whether it was because there was no basis in the first place or that he could tell from my serious expression that I was sure I didn't commit the offence!

Coming back to the AES. According to Chua Jui Meng,

"If the BN government’s intention to save the rakyat from fatal road crashes is sincere, then it should have the right infrastructure fully in place before enforcing the AES.

Australia has one of the lowest rates of road accidents in the world. Why is that? Because they use the Global Positioning System (GPS) and LED boards to warn motorists of speed trap cameras installed at dangerous road and highway stretches.

The Australian government’s intention is to help save lives by telling motorists to slow down at such “death stretches”, not collect hefty fines for revenue.

Compare that with the BN government. They implement the AES to catch and slap hefty fines on motorists! The BN’s intention is clearly not about saving lives but to collect hefty fines..."

Rest of his article...
AES: Money over safety
http://en.harakahdaily.net/index.php/letter/5923-aes-money-over-safety.html

Personally, I wish AES at traffic light junctions would prevent motorcyclists who now have the habit of following rule of their own: ignore traffic lights and proceed when they think other vehicles have yet to make a move!
Link

No comments: