How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Commenting on The Sun's Top 10 tech notables

From The Sun: Top 10 tech notables


What's my take of these top 10 tech notables?

Sorry to disappoint those who are expecting an intelligent and knowledgeable write-up on these. I am technologically averse, otherwise my buddy would have been my alter ego by now. I am using technology on an 'out of necessity' and a 'trial and error' bases. I learn what I can within my normal capability, that is, without additional stress on myself. I use what I know and go round it, whenever necessary, to do what I need to do.

Having said all that rubbish, a quick run on The Sun's top 10. First of all, both iPad and iPhone 4 (never used the first iPhone and it is already 4) are still new to me. I am retired (euphemism for being not gainfully employed; and many people mistook it for being a pensioner, who has a monthly pay regardless of how small it is, with crumbs thrown in now and again by successive PMs), and therefore under no pressure or need to know or learn the new tools of IT. When I am ready, the novelty of each gadget, no matter how out of date, shall remain cherishable. When I am gone, not knowing them is not going to affect where I am going, is there?

Blackberry is useful to me in an indirect way, because my son is given one at work and any communication to reach him is almost instantaneous. His reply would depend on whether it is convenient or not. At least, I get to know he got the message. Well, according to the writer, Tan Pin Ping, Blackberry seems to hold out well against other competition, especially the one under review, Torch, which must be presumably the top line model.

Samsung, as a brand, is doing exceptionally well, with increasing sales due to its many innovations which make South Korean products much to be desired, causing worries to their main competitors like the Japanese and other established brands. Pin Ping mentioned two: Galaxy Tab and Galaxy S, and for your information, I was recommended by my friend to start with Galaxy 5! Just to show how backward I am.

Well, Apple was mentioned 3 times, with its App Store, which presumably provides information on all its applications available to Apple products. One of the main criticisms against Apple was this exclusiveness which makes it unattractive in terms of usage. But with the Android (whatever that is, seems like something robotic to me) platform(?), some sort of open system, I get the impression Apple would have something to go with that to keep up with the times, but mainly to attract customers by making it more versatile.

Facebook is doing well needs no further mention, since its inventor, Mark Zuckerberg (sounds Jewish to me; if so, our Malaysian Taliban should ban it) has been named Time's Person of the year for 2010.

I joined FB because my daughter, Cheng added me as Friend; also out of curiosity since everybody using computers seem to be talking about it. Though it has its usefulness in finding long lost old friends (provided they are using FB, and provided they are using their full names, or have recognizable photos what with old age and receding hairlines (not behind masks, at a distance, with others, or even without a photo! Might as well be in another site called Faceless!), I find those addicted are because of games they play. Imagine the loss of productivity as a result. These days, it is common to see sales assistants not paying attention to customers (appearing to be busy but actually in the process of playing games). My IT unsavvy wife found it so funny when a friend said she is very busy until she found out that those activities like farming and running a shop were virtual!

Twitter is supposed to be another exciting tool for social networking and fast communication, provided your text is within 140 characters. This is very useful where someone is at a happening place unaccessible to others and everybody else wanting to know what is going on. I have just joined but do not seem to find the need for it yet.

Google Maps is one which is most appreciated by me. Now, almost any developed place on earth can be found using Google Maps. It is useful for getting directions from a place A to another place B. But as usual, there were reports of impracticality like being led on to a highway for someone travelling on foot!

Augmented reality is at the moment beyond me, in terms of understanding and interest.

I am surprised I could write something out of nothing at all!
Link

No comments: