How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Computer is only as good as the data input

We have heard of 'GIGO' or Garbage In Garbage Out when learning the basic understanding of computers years ago. These days, users need not learn such things because as computers get more and more advanced, they become more and more user-friendly. This is similar to Accounting graduates now who do not need to know basic Double Entry because accounting software takes care of that and all that is required, is the necessary data input, and the ledger, stock or final accounts will be updated as the case may be.

A month ago, I sent our Navara to Nissan Service Centre in Menglembu for the first time. I have been to the one in Jalan Kuala Kangsar for years though it is farther from Batu Gajah.

The first thing I noticed was the need to request for an estimate of the cost of service. Besides the normal service, I informed them of the incessant knocking sound which was becoming louder. The first time I heard it, I thought I was near a Chinese drummer in action (as in a lion dance or funeral). But when it followed me all the way, I realized it was to do with the engine. I even checked to see if it was because of a loose bracket which holds the exhaust pipe. Anyway, I tolerated it for months before this visit.

I was told that it was due to a faulty solenoid valve assy which had to be ordered from Japan. I was told it would take a week (seems incredibly quick, though I wondered why Japan when vehicle assembled in Thailand) and that I should call if not informed.

Almost a month later, I called while on my way to Ipoh on other errands. The same receptionist had no idea whatsoever! I told her the surname of the technician (turned out to be supervisor) but after a couple of calls, still not sure which one. I spoke to the person in charge of the centre (I later realized he was someone I knew at Jalan KK) and he was upset when I said in Cantonese, 'How is it with the registration number of the vehicle, your staff do not have a clue about it?' He said normally the person who did the service knows about it! In other words, had I not called, nobody would have called me as promised earlier!

When I went to the service centre in the afternoon, they were ready to replace the part for me which as informed earlier, did not take more than half an hour. But it was weird to me that everyone seemed to pretend not to know me. When I asked the receptionist again the reason why the lack of info, the reason given was that the matter about the replacement part was not recorded in the computer! For a system which holds record of previous service attended to, this lapse seems inappropriate.

The bad news was that this particular part is a common problem with this Navara model. It recurred in a few other Navaras and the next time, it is going to cost me at least Rm300 after warranty period. I hope some spare parts dealers would start stocking on this part if not already doing so, to save us the time and money.
Link

1 comment:

bayi said...

Garbage in, garbage out!