How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Which smartphone is best for Skpe?


I am still trying to find out!

Searched and found some queries and replies from people who tried to help in some forums and I got a better idea of how the need for certain requirements in smartphones had enabled manufacturers to come up with more and better phones.

Go to Skpe's homepage, and we get details of links to various types of Skpe use, be it via computers or mobile phones; using Windows, Mac, Linus, iPhone or now favourite, Android; or different makes and models of phones, like Nokia and Sonyericsson. More details in the following link: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/home

So the question of 'Which smartphone is best for Skpe?' seems easy to answer (if you are not particular or inquisitive, just take their recommended ones), yet it is a maze out there, with each manufacturer trying to outdo the others in terms of usefulness and user-friendliness.

In terms of technology, a few years is enough to have an evolution. As is common with computer technologies, different operating systems and features might suit a given purpose but not as good for others. Often, we are looking at a compromise of what we really want, for Skpe purpose for instance, and treat the other features as incidentals which are often included to attract purchasers.

Smartphones have come a long way during the last four years or so, and it is interesting to re-visit some of the problems faced by lay users and advice given by others. My problem is in trying to select relevant ones and edit (other than the techy parts) to make them brief and clear, knowing people these days have very short attention span!

In 2006:

Please let me know if you get any luck with this... I have same model and still looking for Skype software for 8700 Many thanks.

The only thing I have discovered is that there is a way to use the 8700 with google talk and with Yahoo.

I think that the nearest to Skype is Google talk though I have not try it yet. Let me know if you try it.

Tried both Yahoo and Googletalk on a 8700g with TMobile UK both work well as chat but do not have voice functionality but great for chat...

In 2007

I think we won't see Skype on Blackberry anytime soon. RIM is still in the GPRS/EDGE era, and these connections are too slow for voice.

The new beta IM+ Skype for Blackberry works GREAT - no desktop version running at home required - it's standalone on the Blackberry. Just tried calling Mom back home, it's fantastic.

I'm really confused about the whole skype on a blackberry thing but I want to use it for sure if it's possible. ..

Anyway I'm confused on whether or not these blackberry skype programs use the telephone or just the data connection. I read one review of IM+ Skype and the guy said it calls you back when you make a call from a number like 000012356 - WHAT? Is it using cell phone air time (BAD for me) or just data (GOOD for me). I need to know because I think if I use regular calling it will bill my company something like $2.99 a minute whether it's incoming or outing. If IM+ Skype is not working just over the data connection is there something else that is?

I'm totally confused about how these things work.

I want to use skype out and in from my blackberry if at all possible but I don't want to pay for it and set it up unless I know it's going to work without using any voice air time. Can anyone clear it up for me?

Also can anyone clarify whether you can use this both with GPRS/EDGE connections and WIFI or Bluetooth like with a wireless router in your home on a blackberry 8100?
***
I have a Blackberry 8700. Could someone tell me if I could use skype with blackberry.
***
Does your PDA provide you with Wireless Internet Access?
***
I am looking at a few different options where I can use a Wireless PDA/Cell Phone to load SKYPE onto so I can also call Australia via SKYPE. Do you use your device for this type of access?
***
The Airis T620 has wireless and bluetooth capabilities.
***
I have a Blackberry 8700. Could someone tell me if I could use skype with blackberry.
***
In 2008

My husband is currently living in Australia while we go through immigration. He's lucky enough to be able to have the new mobile Skypephone from the 3 network. Unfortunately, that's not available in America. I want to know which PDA is the best to use with Skype, and how much I can be expected to pay per month. Obviously, I'd need to have wi-fi, but I'd also have to have an unlimited data plan, correct?

Please advise, as I'm clueless when it comes to PDAs and this sort of mobile stuff.

I live in Australia and use an Airis T620 PDA (it is a clone of the Mitec Mio 550 pda) with Skype version 2.1.0.66 (later versions did not work for me) and it works well in Australia, Italy, England & Ireland. It is also a very good GPS. It is one of the cheaper PDA's.
hope this helps.
***
I'm not in Australia, I'm in America, so that's the problem. I need something American.
***
Does your PDA provide you with Wireless Internet Access??
I am looking at a few different options where I can use a Wireless PDA/Cell Phone to load SKYPE onto so I can also call Australia via SKYPE. Do you use your device for this type of access?
***

In 2009

hi guys, I've been using skype for some time and i wanna get it on the go, be able to make calls and receive them normal line and also from skype, i used to do that with my Nokia (company phone) so i could answer sip calls and normal calls without a problem.

I wonder if it is possible to do that with skype, to have the same level of integration and ease to use, i know there are problems, some people report phones that freeze or crash, others report the loudspeaker problem and that some have had it solved in different ways etc.

I just wanna know what phone could i buy that's a sure bet, that it will work perfectly with the least configuration possible.

Hope some of u tell me cos i wanna solve this soon.
***
I think buying a mobile phone is much more than buying it just for Skype. A phone is a MEGA investment. If you just want Skype, buy a Skype compatible WiFi phone which is cheaper and performs way better than cell-phone devices.

But those things apart, I think Skype in my opinion, is not yet mature enough to run seamlessly in WinMo.(just my opinion) There are numerous issues like you said. It uses up tremendous battery. It has it's own audio issues. The performance is still choppy due to the audio/voice bandwidth instability. If you still feel you can live with it, then you should go for HTC phones. Any of them with a decent processor should do. Since all run on the same OS. I would suggest buying a phone which is WinMo 6.5 compatible.
But one thing. The phone will not work seamlessly with Skype. You need to do a lot of tweaks, software patches and install support software to get it working like normal voice calling. (So much for a software now in 3.0 release)

All this is just my opinion based on a year's experience using Skype for WinMo. Maybe others have better things to say.

13 July 2009

The fact is this:
ALL Windows Mobile (of a particular flavor) devices are identical. Unless the device manufacturer has rehashed the ROM for customizations. Since WM is a highly customizable OS no one can list out a sanctioned list of devices. HTC Touch HD may work fine for me with a service locked connection but may not work fine for you if it unlocked or vice versa. In general Skype will work 100% as it is intended to in ALL WM devices that have the raw OS installed on the phone. Any customization/cooking of the ROM may or may not render Skype useless.

28 July 2009

Nokia 95, 97, 5800 are best for Skype. They have front and back cameras, so you may see who you talking to and they may see you same time. Simbian OS though... I'm using Skype with Fring on my Nokia 5800 and love it; works great.

In 2010

I am giving up trying to sort out the queries and answers. No point is it, other than for the record, like our history? But, believe me, in the course of listening to some queries at my favourite phone shop, there are questions being asked about very basic functions by people who want to use smartphones even though they do not need most of the features!

Link

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi KoSong

I have had no issues with my HTC phone when using Skype.

Unfortunately, I gave my HTC to my son yesterday and gave him my Nokia charger instead :-(.

Really getting old...

Thanks for this post!

Enjoy today!

Cheers

KoSong Cafe said...

Actually, I have yet to use a smartphone, let alone for Skpe or even Twitter or Facebook.

I am getting worried because my wife is now into calling daughter in Holland and charges are much higher than UK. Eg. using iTalk, Rm30 is only for 30 minutes compared with 2 and a half hour. With house phone, there is no warning as to when to stop yakking (between mother and daughter), while I cringe at the thought of the next bill! My present notebook has problem with mic so I have to 'type and listen' while she has to 'read and talk'... no problem with me, except my wife would refuse anything that is slightly inconvenient, even using iTalk for instance where one has to key in numerous numbers.

I tried the entry level Samsung Galaxy 5 and was put off with my big finger touching the wrong place. I suppose when everything properly set up, this would not be a problem.