How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Survey No.4: If you have a wish, do you wish your only son to be like...


54% responded with 'none of the above'! I cannot blame them as I felt too, that the list of 4 persons was too short, with not much of a choice. 18% actually opted for Zang Toi, the famous couturier who made his name in New York, clothing some of the world's best known celebrities. 18% chose Nik Nazmi who happens to be the youngest state assemblyman in the last election and is known for his articles in known journals and is also an author in his own right. None chose Khairy and I wonder why. Was it because he was too much in a hurry in politics? But despite the worldwide publicity of his exploits with international film stars and singers, only 9% chose Jho Low. I am taking this opportunity to give my take over this latest famous personality.

Let's just say, like most people, I got carried away in the gossip frenzy over Jho Low. My comments in the following blogsites were my sentiments at the time of reading when news unfolded. But I just wish to comment further on Jerry Chin's advice to me that I should not allow jealousy to creep into me.

First of all, if my dad were to be very rich, and I inherited companies to run, with assets to look after, I would rather sell them for peace of mind, which to me is paramount. In fact, I have actually sold my father's only company because of differences with my siblings, which to me is not worth the trouble quarreling over.

I have decided not to learn the ropes of my second brother in housing development (he was good at dealing with government departments, if you know what I mean), simply because I did not like the wheeling and dealing part of it.

His second son was in a similar situation like Jho Low (though obviously on a much smaller scale, and locally) with tens of thousand ringgit in credit card allowance monthly, for entertaining business associates of a friend he was working for. He died, probably of a heart attack, at the age of 30!

As for datukship, I know it is not within my means to speak of something which I could not obtain, even if I wanted one, but bearing in mind someone who prefers 'peace of mind' then I should be taken at face value. I wish to identify myself with those group of people (here, I am referring to those who could obtain a datukship but opt not to) who prefer not to get obligated to royal commands like compulsory attendance at birthdays or other events, be dressed up properly at those events, and had to observe royal protocols and if necessary, to know how to speak properly to a royalty. Just to give you an idea, I do not even enjoy sitting for a couple of hours watching a play where we are expected to stay still and be silent throughout. I do not even like the dress code of a golf club! Do I seem like a 'sour grape'?

Here are my comments in three known blogsites:

Nathaniel's Jelas.info:

Rosmah & Stevie Wonder | Dad: Quiet down; Jho: I CAN'T HEAR YOU

K S Ong
July 26th, 2010 at 3:18 pm

"From Jelas to Jealous? But thanks for the info.

My suggested Caption: ‘Most Expensive Kiss’.

Father’s suggestion: to keep a low profile, NOT to stop free spending. My take is, he is not spending father’s money but his own.

Why so much money? Well, based on ‘know who’, commissions can easily be tens of millions while ordinary folks slog for peanuts. Does it concern us? If money earned through commissions based on highly inflated deals, then it should. Remember? We were told to tighten our belts and change our lifestyles by giving up car and Astro or something to that effect, and to take less sugar for our own good?

We should be proud now that we have a Malaysian who holds the world record of spending most money in one night! Doesn’t that qualify for a Datukship?"

Jerry Chin a.k.a TOKZ
July 26th, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Hi commentator K S Ong!!!
You judgment is NOT a SIN (unlike most). Well done!!!
However, whether FATTY JHO gets a DATUKSHIP or not…it AIN’T your problem unless you’re ALLOWING JEALOUSY to creep into you. “Keep it within CONTROL, ya???”


Rantings by MM: Life's Lessons from Lho (sic) :

'The best way to get to know rich and famous kids is through exclusive schools and universities.

But it takes a business-minded person to use the networking contacts for future dealings. I am sure there are many fellow students who know the same people with nary a thought about using them.

We have to acknowledge the fact that only those who are socialites with the right PR skills and good at making arrangements for anything demanded of them, can mix with famous people. We would not know if they messed up arrangements and suffered tirades of stars.

For others, even with tons of money would not get them the chance to be near the stars. Like contracts, you need the first to have the track record before you can get the next. So knowing them at school seems the best place to start a gainful friendship!'


July 29, 2010 2:45 PM

Anilnetto.com: Looking beyond Jho Low

K S Ong
1 August 2010 at 9.17am · Reply

"From Wynton Group’s site, words like ‘networking’, ‘movers and shakers’, and ‘symbiotic’ point towards favouritism, cronyism and … (last word was edited out by Anil)

Other than ‘know who’, I don’t think it has anything which other similar outfits cannot provide, but that’s the reality of business where to maximize profits, ‘the end justifies the means’.
It is all about opportunism – opportunities and opportunists."


Again, thanks for taking part in my little survey.

Link

No comments: