How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, December 12, 2014

A bit on UOB credit card and TM

I tried redeeming points accumulated but gave up because it was too much of a hassle for what it was worth. Just imagine: for a small value item, it involved courier service, and because of my address, almost always the courier man would not be able to find it. Furthermore, it means having to have someone at home to receive it, or else, to go all the way to Silibin (no pun intended) in Ipoh to collect from the couriers.


Because of the small amounts spent, for years I did not bother to redeem any of the points which lapsed periodically.


Now, I find it worthwhile to redeem the points to pay for the government tax on credit card of Rm50. 10,000 points are required, and often, the points which lapsed negate its accumulation. 


The other day, I called up their Call Centre which is KL-based to redeem my points for the rebate. I used TM fixed line to call and had to listen to the usual 'Press 1 for this, 2 for that...' before I was put to a person and I had to explain my intention, then I was put on hold while he checked and realised exactly what I had in mind. I have just received my TM bill and the call and conversation lasted 8.37 minutes and cost me Rm7.40! Personally, under my circumstances, I wish UOB would make such a rebate automatic if and when my points were sufficient, without having to go through all that hassle and cost.


As for TM, I missed the days when telephone calls were free (at least, within a state), but now we are being charged according to duration. But to be honest, even if given unlimited free talk time, these days, being anti-social, I do not wish for long chats with anyone. I did not know the call to UOB would last more than 8 minutes, otherwise, I had the choice of calling when at my son's place where his Unifi subscription provides free calls to TM fixed lines, or using my YES subscription which charges 9 sen per minute.


While on TM, my son's Unifi service in Petaling Jaya has problems with connection. This had been going on, off and on, for about a month. I was disappointed, so did my grandson, during my last 3 visits when I brought along the iPad but could not connect to the internet. At Rm149 per month, this is a lot to pay for no service, not to mention the unworkable CCTV installed.
Link

No comments: