How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, November 22, 2012

A bit on applying for replacement of IC and driving licence

For being careless or absentminded, I had to go through the process of applying for my lost or misplaced NRIC and driving licence. Of course, before that, I had to satisfy myself that all the likely places had been checked. Luckily, I had a separate holder for those cards (incl. an Esso Smiles card) and all my other important bank cards were in my wallet.

I left my house at 8 am and walked to the BG district police station. If not for the lone police manning the counter being distracted now and again, two copies of the police report were printed within minutes: one for me to sign and the other, a rubber-stamped copy for my use when applying for replacement of IC. The time it took me to walk to the station and to get the report took only half an hour. The Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara or National Registration Department was just across the road. That is the advantage of living in a small town, away from the hustle and bustle of cities.

At the NRD, I showed my police report at the counter and was given a form to fill. It was a simple one: to fill in name, NRIC number, address and reason for application. I was then given a queue number. When it was my turn, I had to show my police report, and my photocopy of previous IC was a help. I was told that because it was my fault for the loss and not because of being robbed, I had to pay a penalty of Rm110 for a first timer (Rm210 for the second time, Rm310 for the third, and so on). Luckily, I was asked my age and a colleague said as warga mas or senior citizen, I was entitled to a waiver of the penalty for a first timer. Had I been robbed, then I need to pay only Rm10 replacement fee. Well, a lady officer had to electronically 'thumbprint' her approval for the waiver. Then I was asked to go to another counter where I had my picture taken. Before that, I had to put on a black vest and to button up my T-shirt to ensure my digital picture looked more presentable. I was then asked to wait and then given a temporary IC and a notification to be used when the new IC is ready in two months' time. I was out of the office at 9.10 am, in time to join my friend for breakfast!

In the afternoon, I had to go to the JPJ office in Ipoh for my replacement driving licence. Though the journey took half an hour each way, the actual process took only 10 minutes. I brought along spare copies of my photo (only one is required) and the police report. I was given a form to fill and told to get a photocopy of my temporary IC, which could be done at a service centre situated in another building. When I submitted my application, I was told that I had to pay a fine of Rm20. I did not mind...come to think of it, it was high time that I had my licence renewed because it was more than 10 years old! I had been renewing it for two 5-year periods and the latest, 3-year period, at our local post office.

Update Nov 4, 2014: For the benefit of those who lost their IC and driving licence, the police report and applications for renewal of both can be done at a Urban Transformation Centre or UTC.

Link

1 comment:

kaheng said...

Helping a lot..thanks