How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, September 22, 2011

How I got involved in proof reading Seeds of Zen

A casual chat at a wedding dinner and I got involved with proof reading some drafts of 'Seeds of Zen'. What I had in mind when I offered my voluntary service was to browse through and detect some mistakes which might be apparent to me. But instead, I was expected to do the final proof reading before Michelle sends to the publishers!

Michelle does not carry a mobile phone and shuns the computer because of possible side effects of radiation. My first assignment was to read texts forwarded by Arystle. The first problem I encountered was when her software was different from mine. Any correction was likely to be in different fonts, for example. So you can figure out others relating to word-processing. What had been corrected by me had to be sent to Michelle to be printed out for her to read. Then I was given some chapters handwritten by Michelle to be proof read and corrected. Having done that, I need to compare the texts of handwritten script with those shown on the computer, where the topics were the same. So I had to reread and compare, uncertain as to which was more recent which should supersede the earlier version. There was obvious duplication of work and it affected my tired eyes.

Personally, I am not a book reader and why I ended up proof reading scripts for a book was like being forced to read! Michelle knew my predicament which was why when the book was published she called to ask if I would like to have an autographed free copy, in case I might find it tortuous! Actually, I must admit that I joked to mutual friends that when Michelle gave me some more scripts and said she will be going for a 2-week retreat, I said I too would like to have a retreat or even to retreat! Which was why there were a few chapters which were proof read by others.

The foreword of Seeds of Zen was by Michelle's childhood friend and school mate since primary one, Puan Sri Siew Yong Gnanalingam. The book was published by Sukhi Hotu Sdn. Bhd.

The Star: Cancer no barrier for ex-teacher to pen book
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/15/metroperak/9494541&sec=metroperak
Link

No comments: