How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tough to be politically correct

Just checked out the following:
How can I get my blog to appear in Malaysiakini?

“Malaysiakini uses Google's search engine to trawl blogosphere to pick up any posting which mentions the word 'Malaysiakini'.
If your blog posting has the keyword 'Malaysiakini', it is likely to be captured by the search engine and will automatically appear in our 'Mkini in Blogs' section.

However, a number of bloggers have abused this function by inserting the word 'Malaysiakini' even though their posts have nothing to do with Malaysiakini or our reports. Others have cut-and- paste Malaysiakini reports into their blogs. This is lazy blogging.

Due to complaints of this abuse, Malaysiakini reserves the right to remove such blogsites from the 'Mkini in Blogs' section.”

I am sure it is expected and only fair to mention where I have copied certain articles or letters for my own record as well as for my daughter’s update on topics which I found interesting, and which I hope she does.

I am mindful of infringing copyrights, or at the least, guilty of not getting prior consent. But for blogging, as we all know it, timeliness is more important than courtesy or getting all the facts confirmed, especially with a little known blogsite like mine.

I was guilty of ‘lazy blogging’ recently when I just copied Ktemoc’s posting on Grand Saga with my own title. I was actually shocked to find it in Malaysiakini in Blogs when I least intended or expected.

As an opposition supporter, I find it difficult now to even consider contacting some MPs or ADUNs who are known to me, simply because some of the latter groups are even state exco members. Knowing that they are now busier than before, any attempt to contact other than because of a genuine complaint, might be construed as asking for a favour!

Though I have yet to meet Dr. Ramasamy, the new DCM of Penang, my daughter knew him when she was organizing a seminar in University of Essex. Now, if one were to visit his site, one will be greeted with a notice that you do not appear to be invited or something to that effect. Already so elitist, I thought. So I am having second thoughts if she suggests that we visit him in Penang!

Then, there is Nik Nazmi, who is now ADUN and Political Secretary to MB of Selangor. He was like a mentor to Cheng in UKEC, being her predecessor. Though I have met him before, the thought of him being ever so busy would put me off.

Teresa Kok, used to come to Ipoh for forums in support of her northern colleagues, but now?

It seems, everyday, there are over a hundred people waiting to see her (some insisting to see her personally) on problems (real or created), business (she’s Exco now) or maybe a marriage proposal or two!

Thomas Su is now Exco member in Perak. So any contact might suggest asking for favour again.

Ngeh Koo Ham is now TMB of Perak, with more than his fair share of running the state and dealing with possible defections in the fragile coalition.

While I was on duty in SMK Sultan Yussuf on election day, I got to know Sivakumar, ADUN for Tronoh. Now? Speaker for Perak State Assembly – what a lucky fellow! But honestly, apart from the glamour, I do not envy a politician’s life –full of responsibilities, practically no private life and has to be ever so careful with what one says.

Po Kuan is now happily married, so it is unwise to contact unless necessary. But at least, she is down to earth and ever ready with a smile when I chanced upon her in Pusing or Batu Gajah.

Lim Kit Siang, I hope, is still approachable and I would like to meet him by chance when he goes to Tg. Tuallang for seafood meal with his family members. My wife saw them once but I was in KL then. Again for ‘Cheah Pah Siu Eng’ to meet someone ‘Tiam Tiam Bo Eng’ is like striking lottery.

Lately, I found myself wanted for company by those who are having serious illnesses, old bachelors who enjoy talking about old times and so on. An old school senior who is 80 years old now, met me at Amcorp Mall in KL and he insisted that I join him for a drink even though I just had mine with my wife. His father and my father and Dato Wong Seng Chow’s grandfather used to work in Sentul railway workshop. So we had some grandfather stories to talk about.

In BG, some months ago, a local lass had a bad accident and was paralysed. We knew each other as to who I am and who she is without acknowledging each other. Once, Po Kuan asked if I would like to join her in paying her a visit and I declined because I actually do not know her personally. A few days ago, while waiting for another friend, outside a friend’s house, she passed by my car in her wheelchair, pushed by her Indo maid. I gave her a smile and she acknowledged in return, and it gave me a nice feeling.

Perhaps I can be a carer…with the exception of mother-in-law, I have to admit.

No comments: