How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, February 03, 2006

Need help at HELP Institute

On Friday, I was half an hour too early at HELP. I tried to look for a Post Office in case I am successful in getting Cheng’s Diploma certified. Walked some steps up and took a lift from P4 to Level 1 which is the same level as the road.

I had high fever for 2 nights and felt groggy but did not realize the effect until much later.

Directly opposite, I noticed Giant supermart and thought I saw Block G. Walked past huge crowd queueing at the Immigration counters. Noticed Indah Water office which occupied quite a large portion of the complex. I walked towards the McDonald sign as I remembered Nee used to wait outside for me and there is a post box. Somehow, did not find post office, not sure if there is one. Just because I walked up to another level, by the time I walked back, I got totally confused. Why is it that I see queues and Indah Water on both sides of the long complex? When I got to an entrance to HELP, opposite Colliers, it was locked and there was a location map showing the other entrance which is right at the other end! That must be the one I came up from! Yet I did not manage to get to the same lift I took earlier and was lost when I got out at P4. Asked a lady and she said she had no idea but she had seen some HELP students nearby.

When I finally got to the level where the Registry was located, I met a student counselor, Mr. Ganesh. After some enquiries I told him he should know Cheng as I remember his name was mentioned before as a lecturer. But, he told me that the Registry will be open only on Monday! I tried to persuade him to certify some copies of the Diploma but he insisted that it will be of no use as he knows only those certified by the Registry will be acceptable by outsiders while his are for internal use only.

Asked if a Member of Parliament’s is good enough and he thinks so. Contacted Po Kuan when she was having breakfast in Ipoh. She said she is not a practising lawyer but will ask Thomas Su to certify.

Reluctantly, I left the carpark and drove aimlessly towards Jalan Ipoh. Took a U-turn at Jalan Duta and headed back for PJ. Occurred to me that if only I knew Ganesh well enough, I could have asked him to have a few copies certified on Monday, and with addressed and stamped envelope, he could even send for me! Nice thought.

By the time I reached the flyover heading towards Jalan Semantan, I was caught in a jam. All cars were at a standstill and there was a yellow helicopter hovering above. Later, I was told the road was blocked for Le Tour de Langkawi cyclists. While waiting, I thought over whether it is better for me to send the original and photocopies to Cheng instead which she had suggested in her email. So I headed back to PJ Section 14.

Found a parking space and went to the parking machine to get a ticket. I actually keyed in 8516 and the ticket showed 5168! On my way to the stationery shop, met a parking attendant and related to him and he said that sometimes the machine showed different figures but he is more concerned with the time and place and not necessary the number!

At the stationery shop, I was trying to think of what I needed like glue, cellotape, envelopes before I proceed to the Post Office. I was actually clumsy and fumbling like an older man and the Malay cashier actually pitied me and helped by providing me a cutter to cut the cellotape. She even had to tell me to take along the glue and tape which I had just paid for! Just then Po Kuan messaged me that Thomas has agreed to do it for me and wants to know the time. So there and then I had to decide whether to go ahead with sending the documents to Cheng. A simple decision, yet in my state of mind I seemed to find it difficult, like in case I made the wrong decision and the documents got lost and Cheng missed the chance of getting a place for doing Masters because of that!

At the Post Office, I told the clerk I wanted to send by Registered Post and was given the sticker (Rm3.90) and Rm4 worth of stamps. It was a long time since I last use those and noticing a white man doing the same, I actually asked him for help! He was most helpful in showing me what to write and which part to stick to the envelope and which for them to stamp for our record! I said to him, “Imagine me asking a foreigner how to do it!” which must have amused those waiting for their turn!

Something is definitely bothering me and Nee, who is doing Psychology, knows what I am on about.

Anyway, because Po Kuan and Thomas have been so helpful, suddenly I made a decision and messaged them that I have decided to join DAP as a life member! I have been thinking about this for a long time, and this decision has nothing to do with my state of mind which I have mentioned earlier!

Thomas messaged “…together we can make this a better country” while Po Kuan, “Great”.

No comments: