How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Recent letters in The Star relating to KTM stations

Please install a lift for the elderly at KTM station


I AM a senior citizen who frequently travels by train from Tanjong Malim to KL Sentral. I then take the Kelana Jaya train to KL Gateway University. From there, I hop on to a T790 Rapid KL Bus to University Hospital.
At KL Sentral, there are escalators and in KL Gateway University LRT there is a lift for the elderly, pregnant and physically disabled commuters.
In Tanjong Malim, the pedestrian bridge is very high and has neither escalator nor lift to help one to get to the opposite platform. I shudder every time I use the bridge as I have to pull myself up with the railings.
Going down, I have to hang on to the railing, slowly put a foot down on one step and then follow with the other foot. I have to repeat this until I reach the end of the stairs.
Some kind people have offered to hold my hand but I have I declined because it is my legs that need help.
Tanjong Malim also has many college and university students and during long semester breaks, one can see them lugging large, heavy bags up and down the bridge and panting upon coming down.
I urge KTM to have mercy on the elderly, disabled and wheelchair-bound commuters and spare a thought for the students too by installing a lift at this station as soon as possible.
TAN CHOOI KEE
Tanjong Malim, Perak
Provide lift facility for the elderly and disabled

I REFER to the letter “Please install a lift for the elderly at KTM station” (The Star, Feb 22) in which the writer related his ordeal each time he travelled to KL Sentral from Tanjung Malim station where the pedestrian bridge was very high and he found it difficult to use.
The scenario is almost similar at all the smaller train stations.
My wife almost fell backwards while climbing up the high pedestrian bridge at the station in Batu Gajah as she was carrying two heavy suitcases.
Fortunately, a kind gentleman who was behind her managed to help her in time.
We hope the authorities will be kind enough to install a lift or an escalator at all KTM stations to enable senior citizens and disabled commuters to move around with ease.
I recall an incident where a friend, on reaching Batu Gajah, refused to get off but continued her journey to Ipoh.
From there, she took a taxi to go back to Batu Gajah.
P. W.
Batu Gajah, Perak

Lack of facilities for the elderly in far too many places


I REFER to the two recent letters in The Star on the lack of lift facilities at KTM stations and would say that generally, facilities for the elderly and physically disabled are lacking in many places.
I drove my friend to Terminal 3 at the Subang Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport and parked my car opposite the terminal.
There was a pedestrian bridge for people like me and my wife, who are in our late 60s, to use to cross over to the terminal.
To our disappointment, there was no lift to get on the bridge which was quite high.
Although I am quite fit, I found it difficult to climb the stairs.
My wife who had a lumbar operation several years ago experienced even more difficulty getting on the bridge.
It was also raining at that time and the steps to the bridge were wet, slippery and dangerous to climb.
We had no luggage with us but we could imagine the great difficulty for those who would have to carry suitcases across.
I really cannot understand why lifts were not constructed for the bridge as the parking facilities are directly opposite the terminal.
I hope the airport authority will construct lifts at both ends for the convenience of the public.
THOMAS FOO
Subang Jaya

No comments: