How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, August 29, 2014

When 'you've lost weight' can be so depressing

While most people, especially those who are overweight, would welcome such a comment, I dread it. Overweight people, especially those considered obese, would have tried all kinds of treatment to reduce their weight, like for eg. as reported in The Guardian:

Jenni Murray joins growing number of Britons to have gastric surgery
Number of people having drastic weight loss surgery like that undergone by Woman's Hour presenter has soared 2,000% in 10 years
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/28/jenni-murray-gastric-surgery-obesity-nhs-womans-hour?CMP=fb_gu

I had been losing weight for some months now, and not only I noticed it (waist from 36" to 34" and face looking haggard), but almost everyone I met (those who haven't seen me for some time) said so. A woman friend who met me at a bank even said loudly, 'Are you ill?', much to my embarrassment.

During my mother-in-law's funeral wake, my doctor sister-in-law whispered to me, 'Not only I said so, but so and so... you better go for a check-up. I replied, 'How can I not feel depressed when everyone seems to tell me this?' She consoled me, 'Ok, ok, if you don't want to go for a check-up, but please don't feel depressed.'

Honestly, other than a general loss in appetite, I feel alright, except that a doctor friend commented that my palms look very pale, which suggest anaemia. Ah, that reminded me, because when I was in secondary school, my tiredness was diagnosed as being anaemic and at the time, I hate eating vegetables, which explained the reason. Since then, I had been trying hard to eat vegetables, as though they were medicine that had to be taken, before I enjoyed the rest of a meal.

The other common problem with me was occasional diarrhoea. This can be easily explained with the lack of hygiene found in some eating places, from the way they wash their meats or vegetables, cooking utensils, crockery and so on. In fact, I quite like the occasional purge because I consider them my natural de-tox!

It was only weeks ago, in PJ when I actually vomited, something which I never did for umpteen years. I just cannot recall when was the last time I vomited. Few days ago, was the second time, and it really put me off food generally. Walking past food stalls in a pasar malam was tortuous instead of the usual anticipation. The different aromas were actually repulsive to me.

Many friends and relatives advised that regular check-ups for an elderly man is a must to prevent late discovery of some serious illness. A friend's wife, nearing 70, went for a full medical and treatment which was covered by her medical insurance. She was more concerned with missing out, just in case, because once she reaches 70, she would not be covered. Everyone was surprised with her bravery in going through all kinds of tests and treatments. She actually had both eyes laser-treated for cataract (within 2 days!); soon after, she went for angiogram and had angioplasty too!

Many people may not realise the psychological effect on a person when it comes to medical treatment, especially where involving surgery. To some, any kind of surgery can be had without problems. But for someone who has a psychological fear of blood for instance, even the thought of drawing blood could cause a blackout! So in order to understand why some people fear medical check-ups, we should think of the effects which some diagnoses could affect them psychologically. It is highly possible that the dread could be more harmful than the actual illness!

Link

No comments: