How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

An open letter to Chief Minister of Penang

Our PM is supposed to be one for Malaysia but the facts seem to suggest otherwise. For example, Rm428million spent on mosques but only Rm8 million on temples and churches!

What riled me up is also what Chief Minister of Penang had said that since the opposition took over, the development funds were reduced by 80%! If this is not discrimination, in fact, more like punishment, I do not know what is.

Penang has just been recognised as a World Heritage site and an influx of tourists is expected in the near future. While its public transport system has yet to be sorted out, they have to deal with the cancellation of the monorail project, PORR, and probably, even the second bridge project.

Personally, I feel Penang can better sort out its public transport problems without Federal interference. Of course, YAB Lim Guan Eng would definite wish to have the allocation of funds like before, which should have been the case if the Federal leaders are not so small minded. But on the assumption that federal funds will be curtailed, which is likely, the additional problem with transport policy is that licences are still the prerogative of the federal government. Knowing how nasty they can be, every means will be used to frustrate efforts by the state government. I hope I am wrong with this perception.

Given the above scenario, I am personally interested in trying to introduce an experienced and successful bus operator, to offer suggestions to solve the city transport problems. This is a chance for the state government to prove that they can handle things their own way, despite blatant lack of support from the centre.

In this regard, I would tend to agree with Anil Netto’s post on this matter New beginning for public transport - from the bottom up, which highlighted some good suggestions from Moaz Yusuf Ahmad. The friend whom I have in mind, actually said monorail is unnecessary given the present number of users. With his track record, I am confident there is no need to bring in foreign experts as suggested by Moaz, just cooperation from Federal leaders is good enough. I sincerely hope YAB Lim can spare some time for a discussion with him on this matter.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

KoSong

Thank you very much for your posting and feedback.

I would very much like to hear more about what BRT can do.

You mentioned that you have a friend who is involved in this industry. Please please encourage him to get involved.

I appreciate that people are starting to come around and realize that there are more options for public transport than just monorail or LRT.

However, the government must look at all options and decide what Penang really needs now...and will need in the future.

Please contact me at transportkini@gmail.com

Regards,

Moaz Yusuf Ahmad

KoSong Cafe said...

Thanks Moaz, for your response. Just puzzled about your comment coming from 'malaysiakini' - what is the connection if I may ask?

For my subsequent posting, I have visited a number of relevant sites and the number of cities using BRT was amazing, most of them positive towards it. Even Aliran mentioned about Curitiba. Believe me, before this, I have not heard of BRT. In fact, I was a bit embarrassed to note that the names Rapid KL,Rapid Penang and Rapid Transit suggest that they were inspired by BRT, but I am sure, only in name, and not based on a comprehensive and integrated system, which requires some dedicated bus lanes and so on.

My friend is passionate about bus transport and his interest even went to the extent of willing to visit one or two selected cities at his own expense, also for his own information, if only Penang CM expresses an interest after a short 'no-obligation' discussion.

I had the opportunity of seeing the late Chairman in a bus with the Director driving, just to show how 'hands on' they were!

He used to travel in cognito in his company's buses to test the honesty of his conductors (old system) and told me that almost half the trip's takings was pocketed in one case!

My postings are all my opinions with some information from him based on our short discussions, just to show that I am keen to be a 'match-maker' for the good of Penang.

I have had problems with my email for some time which explains why I am communicating with you here!

I can be reached at 016-6894749 or leave me your number so that I can call you instead.

Regards,

K S Ong