How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Monday, February 18, 2008

The iconic but reluctant politician... finally quits?

These days, Sunday is often a working day for my wife because of oil palm harvesting. With the high price for fresh fruit bunch, her job is to ensure there is no theft or pilferage after the fruits are cut from the trees and that they reach the collection centre. It is quite strange to see school children on a Sunday in Kedah side of Selama.

After harvesting, at about 5 pm we went to the harvester’s house where SP had her shower and change of clothes to attend a dinner cum karaoke competition, which her company had made a contribution. I took the opportunity to check mail at the house, as I had intended to do it at an internet café. After a quick run through, I visited Malaysiakini and got a shock when I read the headline, ‘Fong quits Batu Gajah’ and I told my wife about it.

It was during dinner that I got call from Chong who asked about Po Kuan’s decision to quit Batu Gajah. Told him I will chat over breakfast tomorrow. In the meantime, I sms-ed Thomas and he replied that she had already mentioned in her announcement.

By the time I reached home, it was about 12 midnight and I checked Po Kuan’s blogsite to find out more. From the comments, I had missed the TV3 news and I realised she seemed to have decided not to contest at all! How disappointing to opposition supporters but must have been music to BN.

While watching the singers, my mind was actually thinking about Po Kuan’s decision and wondering about the reasons. She wanted to quit just before the 2004 GE too. There is always the public statement and like what Chong and others wanted to know, the real reasons!

While on the way to Selama, I actually told my wife that Po Kuan should consider standing for a state seat as well, with the consent and moral support from her husband. The reason being she has already established herself in BG and she could easily win and cope with a state constituency as well, with a supportive husband at her side. Well, that was my viewpoint from a distance, not privy to what has been happening in her private life and in Perak DAP.

To me, there is this irony of me supporting DAP in Batu Gajah when my registration was hijacked to Gopeng for GE 1999 and 2004, yet now that I have put it right to be able to vote in BG, she has decided not to contest!

Looks like we have to get used to not having ‘Batu Gajah’ personified in YB Fong Po Kuan in Parliament. I am sure the Speaker and his Deputy and the rest of the ‘to be elected’, who had been MPs before, will miss her too.

3 comments:

bayi said...

It's a big disappointment to many.

Unknown said...

limcbsmIt is really disppointing and heart broken for all the Pusing folks who supported all these years x thery are going to miss her very much x anyway nice talking to you and hope we can maintain for years to come

Unknown said...

what i ask maybe is not true