How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

One needs to be in the right mood to play music

Two weekends ago, my nephew, William who is on holiday from London, came with his family to visit us for the first time. There were five adults and Jun cramped in a Myvi. William’s wife and daughter decided at the last minute to join in. What was supposed to be me joining them on their day return trip to KL ended up with us providing another car to ease the seating arrangement for the next day.

It wasn’t a problem as my wife is quite attached to Jun who with her dad joined us in our car. Moreover, my wife had wanted to join this talk on Nyonya ceramic ware at the Central Market in KL, given by a Professor from Singapore and our local expert and collector, Datin Kee Yong Wee. P.G. Lim, the biggest collector, could not make it, probably too soon after his brother’s funeral.

I normally try to avoid making arrangement first with my friend, KC aka ‘Kan Cheong’ but not expecting such last minute change of plans, I had told him earlier. I had also asked if Sunday morning or afternoon is ok as my wife’s nephew, Shaun, might be joining our jam session and he has futsal in the evening.

After Saturday night stay, it was time for breakfast. I suggested my usual coffee shop where they have pig’s tribe in pepper soup during weekends, which I have yet to try and knowing that my wife loves it too. She suggested ‘pan mee’ a type of noodle which is made on the spot. Though it turned out a good idea that she listened to me (as it turned out, my nephew said he never touched pan mee since they had it very often when his parents had to scrimp when he was a kid) I did not know Sunday was such a busy day that all the nice things I used to have during weekdays were finished. Anyway, they did not want a heavy breakfast because they had lunch appointment in KL at 1 pm with his sisters and families.

We left BG past 11 am and I felt pressured knowing that I could not make it in time, knowing the NSE is still undergoing widening works. On the way, I felt my pocket where I normally put my handphone, not realising that for the first time, I had the key pouch there instead. Almost nearing Rawang, I thought of calling KC and realised that I had left the phone for charging. Suddenly, my mind was in a confused state. We tend to rely too much on the phone memory and fortunately, I could remember KC’s house number. Though we were advised to go via Rawang because they were supposed to meet in Batu Caves, the more direct trunk road has its disadvantage of dealing with local town traffic and I actually missed a turn because of new development projects, which put me off the usual track.

Anyway, we were in such a hurry that as soon as we arrived at the entrance to Batu Caves, William and Jun quickly got off after a quick goodbye and joined his son’s car. I did not have a chance to say hello to my nieces and their families, as I had to rush to reach Central Market by 2 pm! I asked my wife to call KC to let him know where I was. It was a smooth drive all the way and I dropped her along Jalan Tun Perak, outside OCBC. Later she told me she was in time for registration. She did not book before hand because she was undecided earlier.

It was just nice for my wife but I was caught in a massive jam because of the pre-Hari Raya shoppers. It took me half an hour to drive from Jalan Tun Perak, Leboh Ampang, Jalan Ampang, past Kompleks Wilayah to turn into Jalan Dang Wangi, then round Sogo to join Jalan Raja Laut.

By the time I reached Sentul, it was 2.45pm. When I entered the home studio, my friends said they were waiting since 9.30am! Though it was hard to believe it really put me off for being so late. When I suggested contacting Shaun, they said it was too late already.

So with a bad start, I took hold of the bass guitar and tried jamming with them. Somehow, I find the tuning wrong. Yet when I tried it out, KC said it was ok. Musicians will know what it is like playing with a wrongly tuned instrument. It was terrible. To make matters worse, KC suggested songs, which I wasn’t familiar with. So it was one disaster after another until I decided to tune the first string according to what I think was right and it improved a little. The important thing is also that the tuning must be right to the user, psychologically I think.

It was so much better the last time (pre-Merdeka Day celebration) when I was staying with Richard in Setapak. Because he had to be home and also because KC’s place was undergoing ‘termite baiting’ treatment which could be upset with loud music, KC decided to bring over two amplifiers and two guitars. Richard had his at home. We could play straight away old tunes like Theme for Young lovers, Peace Pipe, Apache and even a song like Wooly Bully, and felt pleased with it. The other important thing is to play catchy familiar tunes known to everyone. Maybe we had with us, our biggest fan then, Richard’s Indo maid who was due to leave the next day, to provide some inspiration!

Without my handphone, I had to tell my wife that I would give a miss call using KC’s so that in case we were not in his house, she could reach me. Anyway, Richard had to go back at 4.30pm simply because he has a little dog in the house and she would mess up the place if he is not back in time! Poor Richie Rich home alone now in charge of selling his family house.

While waiting for call to fetch my wife, KC’s wife mentioned that Endon’s family used to live two houses away and that her sister used to be her classmate in Convent Sentul! She remembers them as a big family of eleven siblings and frequent kenduris.

No comments: