How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

A bit of rude awakening at Maybank, Batu Gajah

One of the likely errands of retirees has to do with banking, which in my case would include deposit of cheques, cash withdrawals (mainly through ATM now), instalment payments (HP) and to Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri.

Banks have grown so large now that to see a branch manager has to be a friend or to do with bigger deals. All the rest of the activities are handled by counter staff, backed by officers, with routine transactions wherever possible and practical, via machines like ATM and for added convenience via online banking. I cannot help thinking of former CEO of Maybank who was made a Senator and Minister and what a cultural shock for him! From a godlike position in the largest bank to being questioned in Parliament and fumbled for appropriate answers.

Ask the laymen in the street and they will tell you that Maybank service seems impersonal and slow while Public Bank would be pro-active in clearing queues and ensuring good service.

This morning I had a rude awakening at Maybank, Batu Gajah branch when I was told by a teller that they no longer accept personal cheque payments to LHDN! I asked, 'Since when?' I showed an old copy of payment slip and said 'I have been doing this for the past couple of years'. Because the account is with Maybank Ipoh, the staff must have found this as additional work and unwilling to continue. But thanks to officer, Azmi (he has been very helpful before), he took it to the backroom for posting like before. How I wish they would put up a sign to state that they no longer accept such transactions though it seem to go against LHDN's information on where to pay your taxes.

As a comparison, at the local BBMB (now CIMB), I was told that only account holders could pay LHDN through them, and I must admit I did not check with the new management. I have paid through Public Bank, Pusing (which accepts cheques from any bank, but for me it requires a car drive from BG), which has a special counter for payments to various bodies which meant without having to take a queue number. But I have been using Maybank since it is within walking distance, even though it means involving a bit of goodwill from the staff. Why should I be subject to something akin to asking a personal favour? The bank should state categorically whether account holder from another branch can use the local branch for convenience... unless service to customers is now considered out-dated with modern banking.
Link

4 comments:

yb said...

If you complaint constantly via email to Maybank they will ignore all your future emails.

My experience with HQ KL. yb

Anonymous said...

You should do you banking with Maybank Mid - Valley Mega Mall KL. Hrer they have a Copliments Board instead of a Complains Board to register that the counter service has been over and beyond your expectations.

Why should Banks take care of depositors when they are protected by Central Banks by having very low BLR of 3%. You cannot get a housing loan for anything less than 6-8% They make a profit any way.

My view is that my deposits are my credit with the bank and that it represents a liability on the books of Banks, Not the other way around. Until this is recognised we depositors will continue to be treated without regard by Banks. Ralax

KoSong Cafe said...

Yesterday morning I got a surprise phone call from Assistant Manager of Maybank, BG enquiring further about my complaint. She said the Bank is taking customer complaints seriously.

It should be noted that I did not complain using email, just my blog posting.

I think the internet search engines and related connectivity had enabled the name 'Maybank' to be picked up by Maybank's website automatically for their attention.

If anyone finds it incredible that not being a customer of the branch, I received that phone call, it has to do with a small town's 'someone in the bank is likely to know the person, and he or she will know someone who knows him'!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a student from HELP University College and currently doing my graduation project which researches on "Customer Satisfaction towards Maybank service in KL". Please help me doing survey which NOT requires your private information. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BRZZDLX

(Would you mind helping me to forward this to your friends also? Thank you very much)