How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Friday, June 20, 2008

A chance to meet, missed

Last Monday, I drove Cheng to the new Immigration office in Jelapang to renew her passport. To make sure she gets it renewed the same day, I suggested we try to reach there just after 8.00am. We had to rush back to Station 18 where she had a dental appointment at 9.30am.

I have not been to the new Jelapang office complex before and I was told about the latest machine, which we can use to renew without having to fill in any form. I was disappointed that it was out of order that day and it had to be form filling like before.

These days, I have a phobia of form-filling because of my poor eyesight and I was glad Cheng could remember her Bahasa enough to do it without my help (not that I could be of help). While she was doing so, an older man approached me, very disappointed over the need to fill form as he was told it is unnecessary. I pointed to the sign and explained that it was out of order. The next thing, he approached me for help. Not knowing the procedure or how long it takes to submit, I did not promise him immediately. Cheng, was more helpful by asking him to wait for a while. She managed to submit her form by 8.30am and she looked for the man. She explained to me that she relied on others many times because of language problems while in foreign countries, so it is kind of payback time. I was really glad that she offered to help without any prompting from me. It sure made a change as young people these days are always in a hurry.

Later, at the phone shop in BG I was told that petition writers at the Immigration department charge Rm10 for filling each form. So, inadvertently, we had taken business from someone. Still, the grateful thanks from the man made my day. His passport expired in 1996! And he had to go to Singapore because his son had ‘choot chor si’ (something untoward happened) so it was an emergency visit. After submitting our forms we met again at about 11am, after our visit to the dentist and he, after having bought his bus ticket.

Later, I sent Cheng straight to her best friend’s house in BG as she had promised to take her to the hairdresser. It was only a couple of days later in PJ, that she told me they had seen Po Kuan during lunch but Cheng did not introduce herself. They have met only once two and a half years ago at a forum in Ipoh. I couldn’t get over the chance ‘meeting’ between ‘Homegrown Cilipadi’ and Cilipadi herself! While in PJ, I called Po Kuan about it and she even offered a lift to my wife to join us in PJ. But it was not to be because SP had a few things to sort out before she could leave. I appreciate her kind gesture.

By the way, Batu Gajah town constituents will be looked after by YB Sivakumar, the new Speaker of the Perak State Assembly as Po Kuan had moved her BG office to Bukit Merah New Village.

No comments: