How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rapport with young people

On my way back from the newsagent, I used to hang out in a phone shop, to take in the cool comfort of the air-conditioned shop and partake in some local gossips and exchange of jokes with three young ladies, before I go back to my soho.

I am supposed to be their English teacher while I pick up some Mandarin from them. They are the only ones who call me ‘Kosong’ and refer to me as their ‘bouncer’! Actually the location is also convenient for the policemen on beat duty to chat with them just before they change shifts.

Last Friday, a brother had a fall from the ceiling and suffered a fractured left leg and the impact caused two vertebrae to close up. We did not know about it until another brother contacted him about a family gathering on December 16. As I was deciding when to make a trip to KL, (with the many events lined up, like an ex-classmate’s son’s wedding dinner on Dec 24, another ex-classmate coming from Australia on Dec 19 until Dec 29, Cheng’s ex-course-mate is coming back to hand to me her camera for repair), the girls asked me if and when I could show them around KL. It is not very often an old man gets such suggestion and in a way, it showed I look like a decent guy who can be trusted.

There was the initial arrangement as to where to meet and the original idea of leaving their car was changed to me picking them up from Jalan Tuallang and Chendorong. Imagine two pot-bellied men and three ladies (one of them in her fourth month pregnancy) and a 5-year old girl in a Hyundai Accent. From the initial 3 girls and a child, I was told the husband of the other girl (she is only 21) was interested in joining us because the driver knows his way in KL. More surprises were to follow.

As we proceeded towards Malim Nawar to get to the trunk road, I was told that one of them had to stop at Jeram to get her camera from her mother’s house. Just before reaching the house, we saw a woman in her sixties riding bicycle with a kid and Shirley exclaimed, “my grandmother!” and shouted to her to turn back to her house. When we reached the house, her mother came out and then I noticed the short Shirley is actually taller than her mum! Anyway, it was a typical village scene.

On our way to Kampar, there was a hint about having to collect some stuff from their fellow branch office. Again, I obliged, as we had to pass Kampar anyway. It really brought back memories of my dealing with my children, so I was surprisingly patient with them. I also thought about my belief that receiving favour does not necessarily mean returning favour to the same person. One can return favour to some other person who needs it.

I was quite surprised to have read about this lady who has met an Irish gentleman who went out of his way to help her during her student days in Ireland. When asked how should she return his favour, he replied something like ‘keep it rolling’. So recently, she was glad to have helped an Irish couple in Malaysia by providing transport to their destination, treated them to some snacks and drinks and advising them how to bargain with the local traders. Just like Alex and Clem acting as guardians to my children in UK, I take upon myself to show these young adults and a child what I take for granted – my way round KL, as well as providing accommodation for the night.

I did not confirm with a nephew who is living in Beng’s house in PJ about my intended stay but I did confirm with my friend, Richard, for just in case. Before I sent them to Mega Mall, I dropped by and was told that the house will be vacant for the weekend.

After dropping them off at the shopping complex, I went straight to Bukit Maluri to visit my injured brother. His fall reminded me of my fall about a year and a half ago, and serves as a warning to us that we are only mortals living at the mercy of a higher being. A few months ago, his wife had fractured her hand when taking out rubbish to put in the bin! Another sister-in-law had a fall at the staircase at home, and injured her ankle. Cheng had a fall recently in the bathroom in Maastricht!

As I was too early to meet my friend, I stopped at BHP station (3rd mile, Jalan Ipoh) to see my mechanic friend. He was kind enough to call me a few days earlier because he had not heard from me for a few months and said he thought I have migrated to UK!

I was in KC’s place at about 5 pm and it was too late for any jam session as Richard had a dinner appointment at 7pm. Taking on the role of taxi driver, I could only chat and wait for call from the girls. KC and wife could not get over the fact that I was at their beck and call! Soon one of them called to say they are ready to leave Mega Mall to go to Petaling Street.

Mega Mall at that hour was jammed with cars circling it, some trying to get out while others trying to get in. The problem was aggravated by the fact that they are not familiar with the entrance points and I am familiar with the Dome side. So it took a couple of rounds (thank goodness for handphones) before we decided on Robinson side.

Going to Petaling Street, I took them via the road next to the old Chinese temple opposite Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall to go to Jalan Hang Tuah towards Jalan Imbi to show them Berjaya Time Square, Sungei Wang Plaza, Lot 10 and then the new Pavilion which I have yet to set foot. We jammed our way through Jalan Bukit Bintang and Jalan Pudu before reaching the intersection of Jalan Sultan and Jalan Petaling where I dropped them off and looked for a parking space. When I walked to Petaling Street entrance, I took the right lane of the narrow stalls and got caught in the human jam without finding them. I was getting hungry by the time I reached Jalan Cecil and started looking for something to eat. I ended up at a quiet Hokien mee stall along Jalan Sultan as I was a bit fed up of getting a few people to agree on what to eat, bearing in mind there is a pregnant woman with a list of ‘don’ts’. After dinner by myself, I walked towards the car to wait for further instructions.

As I was standing beside Jalan Sultan, diagonally opposite the Petaling St sign, I noticed some Chinese ladies hanging around. They looked like foreigners. After a while, I realised they were actually hookers soliciting business! There were a number of foreign workers (Burmese or Vietnamese) who spoke to them individually. It took a local woman in her forties to confirm my suspicion! With hand signs and ‘suck and f**k fifty’ there was no doubt what it was all about. At one point, as I walked nearer to the junction, the same woman asked me ‘laeng chai, oi mou?’ So it turned out quite educational for me too!

When the girls were ready, one of them called and the taxi driver was ready to take them back to PJ. On the way, the knackered pregnant one said for tomorrow they will only visit somewhere near where we stayed.

The next morning, I got up before 9am and they were still in the rooms. I noticed the dirty ceiling and stand fans and decided to clean them. Then there is rubbish to throw and plants to trim. At the back of the garden, I actually saw a snake coming out from under a piece of cement about 2ft-square. Having seen me looking at it, it slid back in. Now I am wary of going to the back and will think twice if I had to go to the ‘basement’ store. I shall be bringing some sulphur on my next trip.

I did not want to wake them as I expected them to be tired. After some dilly-dallying, they finally got ready to set off. My earlier idea of leaving them at Amcorp Mall was changed to Pavilion at the suggestion of KC, as he did not want them to interrupt our jam session too soon. But I took a wrong turn and ended up turning right from Jalan Sultan Ismail towards KLCC and by then they decided why not KLCC!

My friends and I had lunch at Sentul Boulevard before we got ready for jamming. It was already past 1 pm. After 2 hours, I got a call asking if I am ready to fetch them. I was surprised when she said to pick them at Petaling Street! Well, one of them showed the way travelling by Monorail, another experience to talk about.

After all the service rendered, I thought I could get a favour by suggesting going back via Gopeng which required one of them to send the couple back to Chendorong. The response was an angry “I told you to leave your car at my place…” directed at the young couple. I made up my mind to return the way we came which was to get out of NSE at Tapah to join the trunk road. As we were getting through the tollgate, the angry one asked innocently, “Where are we heading to?” I replied that her earlier reply did not suit me and I wonder if she got the hint!

Just before reaching Kampar, someone suggested dinner and we settled for claypot chicken rice at Wing Lok Yuen at the suggestion of the young husband. Soon after, a group of people came and the man turned out to be Ngen, our Pusing mechanic, with his sister and her children! I was sitting next to a pregnant woman and the young man and I could imagine Ngen and sister wondering whom I was with!

While on this matter of people having the wrong impression, before our trip, when the girls were discussing with me on where and how to meet, we were at the Post Office. They have rented a counter on a daily basis because their shop is under renovation. And who was sitting within hearing distance but someone who knows me by sight who lives down the road! Again, he must have been wondering, “What’s going on?” At the time, I told them tongues would be wagging in our small town.

To show that honesty is the best policy, it was my wife’s suggestion to take them myself as she was expecting a childhood friend from Alor Star for lunch in Tg. Tuallang on Saturday afternoon. She actually saw Lim Kit Siang with his wife and daughter at the restaurant! I missed a chance to chat with him without his party members. She said she was quite surprised that her friend’s son, who is in his 30s, did not recognise LKS. It goes to show politics and current affairs are not everybody’s cup of tea.

No comments: